What you get with Bear Mattress
Bear Mattress is a direct-to-consumer and mattress-in-a-box brand that offers mattresses and several other sleep-related products online and through its showroom.
The company manufactures and sells a three-layer mattress model available in different sizes. The Bear Mattress is eco-friendly and made with foams that are CertiPUR-US certified, and free of chemicals and chemical-based fire retardants.
Bear Mattress is unique because of its endorsements from many professional athletes in a variety of sports. It also gives one percent of sales to a charity called Good Sports, which is dedicated to giving kids the tools and equipment needed to participate in activities and sports.
Here are several key characteristics that make Bear Mattress stand out:
- Temperature: Bear Mattress is designed to keep sleepers cool with a gel-infused foam comfort layer. This mattress regulates temperature well, keeping the surface of the mattress cool, which is a challenge for many memory foam mattresses that are known for trapping heat.
- Price and value: This mattress is priced competitively and is a value for the quality of materials used.
- Bounce: This mattress has an above average amount of bounce as compared to other mattresses made of foam. The bounce factor may be a function of the adaptability and responsiveness of the foams used in this mattress. This foam mattress responds well to movement and body position changes.
- Firmness: Bear Mattress is medium to medium-firm, and both firmness levels are recommended for many sleeping positions. This is a versatile mattress that allows for enough firmness to provide a firm foundation and help support natural spine alignment.
There are also a few potential weaknesses to note about Bear Mattress:
- Edge support: When weight and pressure is applied to the outside edges of the mattress, the material sinks down further than the center and other parts of this mattress. The center of the mattress offers the most support as compared to the edges.
- Warranty: The 10-year warranty Bear Mattress offers is standard for the industry, but other competitors offer a better-than-average warranty.
Price (Queen): $850
Sleep trial: 100 nights
Warranty: 10 years
Manufactured in: U.S.
About Bear Mattress
Bear Mattress is a family owned- and operated-company that was founded with more than 25 years of mattress business experience. The company aims to offer an honest and transparent experience for its customers, and has designed its company based on lessons learned in the industry.
All of its products are made in the U.S., and one percent of sales are donated to charity.
Bear Mattress products are available online through its website and at its showroom located in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Customer reviews on Bear Mattress are available here:
Bear Mattress has more than 1,000 verified reviews on its website, and reviews are handled by a third-party company called Yotpo.
Consider these pros and cons reported in reviews by Bear Mattress customers:
- Fast delivery
- Easy ordering
- Positive website and purchase experience
- Great price and value
- Helpful customer service
- Simple installation
- Alleviates back pain
- Designed for people who are active
- Sleeps cool and features cooling properties
- Customers are unable to select a preferred delivery date
- UPS/shipping notification and delivery challenges
- Some mattress smell upon receiving
- Return shipping cost
- Initially too firm, and takes days to wear in initial firmness
A look at the Bear mattress
Bear Mattress is a 10-inch high-density memory foam mattress with three different layers. The foam layers are designed and developed using a proprietary method to make the foam eco-friendly by reducing the amount of chemicals used in the manufacturing process.
These mattresses feature the following layers:
- Comfort: The comfort layers include a high-density gel-infused memory foam that is designed to keep sleepers cool and a 2.5-inch memory foam layer made specifically for responsiveness. The response layer is made to respond effectively to movements, making this mattress easy to move around on. The response layer also helps with offering conforming support and provides above-average bounce.
- Support: The support core of this mattress is a 6.5-inch high density support foam layer that offers foundational support, which is important for spine and body alignment.
- Cover: Bear Mattresses also include a cover that is designed to absorb body heat and protect the mattress. The cover is made with a Celliant-blend fabric that helps keep the surface of the mattress cool.
All Bear Mattresses are made in the U.S. with CertiPUR-US certified foams.
These mattresses are also compatible with different foundations. Bear Mattress makes several different bases that work with its mattresses, and the mattresses can be paired with a foundation, adjustable base, slatted frame, or platform.
Bear Mattress costs and guarantees
Bear Mattress offers a 100-night sleep trial. If customers decide they are not satisfied within the sleep trial period, the Bear Mattress customer service team can help set up a full refund.
The company asks customers to try the mattress for at least 30 days before requesting a return or refund. They recommend this timeframe so that sleepers can adjust to the new mattress.
Mattresses can be returned by arranging for removal by a local charity that could use the gently used mattress as a donation. Bear Mattress recommends this process instead of returning the mattress to the company or disposing of it in a landfill.
The company offers free shipping for most of the United States, although there is a charge for shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.
Mattresses are compressed, vacuum-packed, and shipped in a box via UPS within 1-3 business days after a purchase is complete. They usually take between 4 and 7 business days to arrive.
UPS will deliver the box right to the customer’s doorstep.
The company ships in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. For Canada purchases, customers can visit their Canadian website. The company does not currently ship to countries in the United Kingdom or to Europe, South America, or Asia.
Bear Mattress offers a 10-year limited warranty, which is standard for the industry.
The limited warranty covers mattress issues like sinkage or indentations that measure more than one inch deep, plus splits or cracks in the foam and other issues with the zipper or frame. To be eligible for the warranty, these flaws must not be caused by misuse or a lack of the correct support of the mattress (foundation, for example).
How Bear Mattress performs
The foam layers used in this mattress perform well in absorbing movement on the surface of the mattress. When a sleeper moves, the foam isolates movement to that specific area without transferring the motion to other areas of the mattress. Sleeping partners will notice very little movement as their partner shifts or moves throughout the night.
In addition to absorbing movement, the mattress cradles the body for pressure relief and does not allow sleepers to sink down too far, preventing the quicksand feeling.
This mattress performs fair in this area as compared to other foam mattresses. When weight and pressure is applied, the edges do sink down further than the other center areas of the mattress. The center and core of the mattress offers the best and most consistent support.
When sleeping close to the edge of the mattress, the mattress will still provide support without collapsing. When sleepers sit directly on the edge of the mattress, it doesn’t hold up as well and sinks down significantly further than the other areas of the mattress.
The high-density foam is durable and will play a role in the lifespan of these mattresses. The company offers a 10-year limited warranty.
Bear Mattresses are medium to medium-firm in firmness level. The mattress only comes with one firmness option, and the medium to medium-firm level is preferred and recommended for back, stomach, side, and combination sleeping positions.
The mattress would score a 6 on a firmness scale with 1 being very soft and 10 being very firm.
The company designed the comfort layers to include a gel-infused technology that helps to reduce heat retention to keep the mattress cool. This layer allows for airflow to prevent heat from being trapped, which is a common complaint about many memory foam mattresses.
The company’s proprietary foam material is made to offer above-average cooling.
Bear Mattress is manufactured without common chemicals used to make many memory foam mattresses. Customers report very little to no smell upon receiving the mattress, and any smell detected will fade away quickly after installation.
This mattress model performs well in this category for a memory foam mattress. The responsive foam layer provides an effective response to faster movement and offers more bounce than other memory foams. The response and bounce makes Bear Mattress unique when compared to other memory foam mattresses.
Sleepers get ample conformity and support for sleeping, and the response function of the mattress makes for good performance in this category.
How to take care of your Bear Mattress
Bear Mattress recommends using a mattress protector to ensure the mattress itself is protected. The cover is not removable, and if the mattress needs to be cleaned, the company suggests spot treatment with a mild detergent. Water should be used sparingly, and mattresses should not be over-soaked in water.
Because the mattress is one-sided and has a cover, it does not need to be flipped. Bear Mattress mentions rotating the mattress 180 degrees every 6 months, although it isn’t necessary.
Connect with Bear Mattress
For more info, connect with Bear Mattress on these channels: