What you get with Amerisleep AS1
Mattress company Amerisleep is a direct-to-consumer online retailer that offers an eco-friendly memory foam mattress in 5 models. The AS1 model (formerly the Americana) is their firmest mattress, designed especially for back and stomach sleepers looking for extra support.
This 10-inch foam mattress consists of 3 layers including a Celliant-blend cover, a top layer of cooling foam, and a bottom layer of supportive foam. Both foam layers are made using a process designed to protect the environment by substituting plant-based materials for some of the petroleum traditionally used to make foam.
Here are some key characteristics that make the Amerisleep AS1 model stand out:
- Temperature control: This mattress is designed for maximum airflow and cooling despite its all-foam construction. The top layer of foam features an open-cell structure to help transfer heat away from the body, and the Celliant-blend cover provides cooling features as well. The company describes Celliant as a material made of “thermoreactive yarn” which “turns body heat into infrared.”
- Firmness and support: The AS1 is the firmest mattress in the Amerisleep line. Its supportive design should provide more lumbar support than your average memory foam mattress and promote spinal alignment. The comfort level of the AS1 is ideal for back and stomach sleepers who are most susceptible to misalignment when sleeping on traditional memory foam.
- Reputation: 97% of reviewers on the Amerisleep website would recommend this mattress to a friend, and the company has an A+ rating with the BBB. The AS1 mattress earns 4.7 stars out of 5 from reviewers, also on the company website, where reviews are guaranteed to be unaltered.
There are also a few potential weaknesses to note about Amerisleep AS1 mattresses:
- Price: This mattress features benefits that you won’t always find with a 100% foam mattress, and these features come at a higher cost than some, especially for a 10” mattress. The manufacturing process that creates a more durable foam with less impact on the environment is one of those features that many find worth the expense. The built-in cooling and breathability of the materials is another.
- Pressure relief: This is a firmer mattress and therefore does not feature the plush feel and body contouring of some of the softer memory foam mattresses. The comfort layer here consists of only 2 inches of memory foam and should not be expected to provide the pressure relief and softness that many side sleepers prefer.
Price (Queen): $1199
Type: Memory foam
Sleep trial: 100 nights
Warranty: 20 years (First 10 years unlimited; second 10 years prorated)
Shipping: Free in contiguous US
Manufactured in: US
Amerisleep’s parent company is One Mall Group, founded by online entrepreneurs, Firas Kittaneh, Moe Kittaneh, and Joey Holt. Amerisleep generated $30 million in revenue in 2016. The company launched its rebrand in June 2017, when it renamed its mattresses.
Amerisleep has recently opened brick-and-mortar locations in Arizona, Australia, and South Korea where they emphasize sleep education and pride themselves on replacing overbearing salespeople with staff members trained in sleep science. Aside from the brick-and-mortar stores, the mattresses are currently available on the website and through Amazon.
The OMG companies Astrabed and Amerisleep have jointly earned an A+ from the BBB.
The AS1 mattress receives high marks for customer satisfaction on the company website, where it has earned 4.7 out of 5 stars. 97% of reviewers there say they would recommend the mattress to a friend. Of the many Amerisleep reviews on Facebook, the brand earns 4.3 of 5 stars.
In addition, the company’s manufacturing process uses plants to replace some petroleum and is the only manufacturing method for foam which exceeds the standards of the Clean Air Act.
Reviewers rave about the AS1 mattress’s ability to deliver comfort without sacrificing support. One of the few complaints with this model is its firmness.
- Motion isolation
- Overall support
- Edge support
- Customer service
- Temperature control
- Lack of pressure relief
A look at the Amerisleep AS1 mattress
Amerisleep’s firmest mattress, the AS1, is available in 7 sizes from Twin to Split King. This is an eco-friendly foam mattress made up of 2 core layers and a removable Celliant-blend fabric cover. It can be used with any bed base, though a box spring will require the addition of a piece of moisture-resistant plywood, and the mattress may also be placed directly on the floor if necessary. The AS1 mattress is manufactured in the US in Indiana.
Here’s the composition of the two main layers, which together with the cover measure 10 inches total:
- Base layer: The foundation of the mattress is an 8” support core of high-density poly foam. This layer provides the compression support and shape of the mattress and results in its overall firmness. Amerisleep refers to their high-density foam as Bio-Core foam.
- Top layer: The 2” top comfort layer consists of Bio-Pur memory foam for pressure relief and temperature control. The company describes this as an open-celled, breathable memory foam, and it does seem to be a more responsive foam than most.
A new feature of this rebranded mattress is its two-toned cover. The top cover is made from a soft Celliant material, which consists of yarn made from thermoreactive minerals. Celliant is thought to have healing properties, though the claims aren’t backed by science, and does have cooling properties.
Amerisleep AS1 costs and guarantees
|AS1||Twin||38” x 74”||$849|
|AS1||Twin XL||38” x 80”||$899|
|AS1||Full||54” x 75”||$1049|
|AS1||Queen||60” x 80”||$1199|
|AS1||King||76” x 80”||$1399|
|AS1||California King||72” x 84”||$1399|
|AS1||Split King||38” x 80” (2)||$1599|
Purchase the Amerisleep AS1 from Amazon.
Amerisleep offers a 100-night sleep trial including free shipping and free home pickup for returns. Keep in mind that if you order the product through Amazon, the return process is likely to differ from that of the company.
The company offers free shipping to the contiguous US via FedEx with curbside delivery. Curbside delivery means the shipper will not set up your bed or bring the mattress into your home. Expect delivery within 10 business days of your order. You can track your order status through your account online. For delivery outside of the contiguous US, the company offers a toll-free number to call for details, (800) 500-4233.
Watch company footage of the unboxing of an Amerisleep mattress:
Amerisleep offers a 20-year non-transferrable warranty which is divided into two 10-year parts. During the first 10 years, the mattress will be repaired or replaced at no cost to you if a defect in the manufacturing is determined. During the last 10 years, the warranty is prorated, and the cost to repair or replace a defective mattress will be 50% of the original purchase price plus transportation and shipping costs.
This warranty covers indentation greater than 0.75”. Using the mattress with a box spring that is not covered by a sheet of moisture-resistant plywood is one of the conditions that would void the warranty.
How Amerisleep AS1 performs
This mattress offers the superior motion isolation that you would associate with memory foam, even though it’s a firm model. The 2” layer of memory foam plus the high-density support foam both absorb motion and provide a stable sleeping surface overall. Couples have reported satisfaction in this area.
The AS1 is the best model in the Amerisleep line for edge support. The mattress has been designed for overall support, and sleepers find that the thin comfort layer combined with supportive base offer much better support for edge sleeping and even for edge sitting than most memory foam mattresses. You shouldn’t be bothered by the edge-collapse issues that are common with 100% foam mattresses.
Amerisleep’s patented manufacturing process for its foam is thought to produce a more durable foam with less cost to the environment. The mattresses are still relatively new, so real data on longevity is not available at this time.
For a foam mattress, this area is one in which the AS1 model excels. For sleepers who like the feel of memory foam and the convenience and sleep trial of the bed-in-a-box model but don’t like being engulfed by their mattress and the stuck feeling of memory foam, this mattress may be a great solution. The mattress has all the features that most back and stomach sleepers will need to maintain proper spinal alignment and to achieve the lumbar support that is missing in the more plush mattresses. If you’re looking for that plush, cloud-like feel, however, one of the other Amerisleep models will probably suit your needs better. The company has 4 other models to choose from.
As previously mentioned, the company has taken steps in the design of its mattresses to address the heat retention of traditional memory foam. The open-cell structure of its foam and the specialized breathable cover both play a role in providing adequate air flow and should help transfer heat away from the body. Customer reviews repeatedly mention the cooling aspect of this mattress, so these steps seem to be working.
A few customer reviews mention a problematic odor, but the vast majority of reviewers do not. Although the company advertises its eco-friendly manufacturing process, they don’t mention if the foam is OEKO-TEX standard certified to reduce VOC’s.
Again, this mattress rates more highly in this area than traditional memory foam. This firm mattress provides quicker response-time than softer foam mattresses would. Changing positions should be easier, as the sinkage here is less dramatic than plush models. Additionally, although the motion isolation is excellent and bounce will be minimal, you won’t have the stuck feeling that often comes with memory foam.
How to take care of your Amerisleep AS1 mattress
The AS1 mattress is not meant to be flipped, and regular rotating, according to the company, isn’t necessary. A waterproof mattress protector is recommended to protect both the mattress and the warranty. A spill that affected the foam would void the warranty. The cover is removable and washable.
The mattress itself may be vacuumed using a soft brush attachment or spot cleaned. As harsh chemicals can damage the foam, it’s best to use a mild detergent mixed with water, or a vinegar and water mixture. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and use only the amount needed to remove spots. The mattress itself should not be soaked in any way with water or other liquids.
Connect with Amerisleep
For more info on the A1 mattress, visit Amerisleep on these channels: