What you get with Amerisleep AS5
Mattress company Amerisleep is a direct-to-consumer online retailer that offers their eco-friendly memory foam mattress in 5 models. Those 5 models correspond to 5 comfort levels, ranging from the AS1, which is the firmest, to the AS5, which is the softest. The AS5 model is billed as an ultra-soft mattress, designed for sleepers who like a luxurious, plush feel with added pressure relief.
This is Amerisleep’s thickest mattress at 14 inches. It consists of 5 layers including a Celliant-blend cover, a top layer of cooling foam, an “Active Flex” layer of comfort foam, the zoned transition layer, and a support layer of high-density foam. In an effort to do less damage to the environment, Amerisleep uses plant-based materials where possible in place of the petroleum traditionally used in the manufacturing process. They describe their unique manufacturing process as “zero-emissions.”
Here are a few key characteristics that make the Amerisleep AS5 model stand out:
- Comfort: Despite having the enhanced plush factor provided by the extra inches of comfort foam, this mattress offers a degree of “bounce back” in the upper layers of foam that still allow you to move comfortably without feeling stuck. For this reason, even some stomach sleepers have reported sleeping comfortably, while those who prefer a softer mattress rate this one highly.
- Pressure relief: Customer reviewers have described the AS5 as “pillowy” and “cloud-like.” For those reviewers who were looking for extra pressure relief, such as side sleepers, this mattress was a fit. This is the only model in Amerisleep’s line with the added “Active Flex” layer that is designed to be cushioning yet responsive.
- Temperature control: The AS5, like the other Amerisleep models, has several effective cooling features that you don’t always find with foam mattresses. The Celliant-blend cover helps dissipate body heat at the surface level, and the “open cell” design of the company’s proprietary foam provides airflow and allows heat to move out of the mattress rather than build up throughout the night.
There are also a few potential weaknesses to note when considering the AS5 mattress for your home:
- Price: This mattress comes with an above-average price tag when it comes to the online bed-in-a-box retailers. On the other hand, it measures in at 14” of foam manufactured through a process that is less toxic and more environmentally friendly than traditional memory foam. The above-average price does include above-average features that make it worth considering even for the most price-conscious buyers.
- Softness: Again, this is Amerisleep’s softest model and has been designed for a plush feel. Sleepers who look for extra lumbar support, or some stomach and back sleepers who don’t like to sink into the mattress won’t find this to be their best option.
Price (Queen): $2099
Type: Memory foam
Sleep trial: 100 nights
Warranty: 20 years (First 10 years unlimited; second 10 years pro-rated)
Shipping: Free in contiguous US
Manufactured in: US
Amerisleep’s parent company is One Mall Group, founded by online entrepreneurs Firas Kittaneh, Moe Kittaneh, and Joey Holt. Amerisleep generated $30 million in revenue in 2016. The company launched its rebrand in June 2017, when it renamed its mattresses.
Amerisleep has recently opened brick-and-mortar locations in Arizona, Australia, and South Korea where they emphasize sleep education and pride themselves on replacing overbearing salespeople with staff members trained in sleep science. Aside from the brick-and-mortar stores, the mattresses are currently available on the website and through Amazon.
Amerisleep rates highly when it comes to reputation, due in part to their A+ rating from the BBB. The AS5 has earned 4.7 out of 5 stars on Google reviews, and 95% of buyers who responded would recommend the mattress to a friend. However, since Amerisleep rebranded their mattresses in 2017, there are not enough reviews on Amazon at this time to accurately measure satisfaction rate there.
Customers express great satisfaction with their purchase on the company-website reviews where even a few stomach sleepers rave about the comfort of the mattress. There are some customer-service related complaints on Google reviews where a small percentage of the over 3000 reviews are under 3 stars. There seems to be a consensus that the mattress takes a few weeks to break in. Some of the trends in customer reviews across the board:
- Pressure relief
- Temperature control
- Comfort level
- Sleep trial
- Customer service miscommunication
- Delivery delays
- Lack of signature delivery or setup
A look at the Amerisleep AS5 mattress
The AS5 mattress is Amerisleep’s luxury-soft mattress designed mainly for side sleepers. This model includes 3” of comfort foam and an extra 2-inch “Active Flex” foam layer designed for both comfort and responsiveness. Like the other Amerisleep models, the AS5 comes in 7 sizes from Twin to Split King and is manufactured in the US.
This 14” mattress is comprised of 4 main layers plus a breathable cover. The layers are made up of the following:
- Base layer: The support layer is 7” of high-density poly foam which holds the shape of the mattress and provides the greatest degree of support. This layer is made to resist sagging. It’s made from Amerisleep’s eco-friendly Bio-Pur foam.
- Mid layer:
- Top layer: The top layer consists of 5” of memory foam designed for comfort. The Bio-Pur memory foam makes up the top 3” and provides maximum pressure relief, body contouring, and temperature control. The company describes their Bio-Pur foam as an open-celled, breathable memory foam. The remaining 2” of the comfort layer are made from a soft but responsive “Active Flex” foam.
Amerisleep AS5 costs and guarantees
|AS5||Twin||38’ x 74’||$1799|
|AS5||Twin XL||38” x 80”||$1849|
|AS5||Full||54” x 75”||$1949|
|AS5||Queen||60” x 80”||$2099|
|AS5||King||76” x 80”||$2299|
|AS5||California King||72” x 84”||$2299|
|AS5||Split King||38” x 80”||$3498|
Purchase the Amerisleep AS5 from Amazon.
The company offers a 100-night sleep trial which includes free shipping and free home pickup for returns. Customers report an easy returns process, though you should keep in mind that ordering the product through Amazon means that returns are not handled by Amerisleep, but by Amazon.
Amerisleep provides free shipping to the contiguous US via FedEx with curbside delivery. In this case, the shipper will not set up your bed or bring the mattress into your home. Expect delivery within 10 business days of your order. For delivery outside of the contiguous US, the company offers a toll-free number to call for details, (800) 500-4233. Once you’ve ordered your new mattress, an online account will allow you to easily track your order status.
This mattress arrives compressed in a box. Watch company footage of the unboxing of an Amerisleep mattress here:
Amerisleep offers a 20-year non-transferable warranty. For the first 10 years, the mattress will be repaired or replaced at no cost to you if a defect in the manufacturing is determined. During the last 10 years, you’ll pay 50% of the original purchase price plus transportation and shipping costs to repair or replace a defective mattress.
This warranty covers indentation greater than 0.75”, which is better than average.
How Amerisleep AS5 performs
Amerisleep mattresses excel in this area, and the AS5 is no exception. The extra inches of comfort foam together with the dense support layer of this mattress will absorb motion and allow sleepers a sound sleep without disturbance from restless partners.
This mattress features a full 7 inches of foam above its support core. The top 5 inches are designed for a plush feel and will provide some responsiveness but little support. With that in mind, you won’t find a great deal of support for edge sitting. Expect some sinkage with edge sleeping as well. With the 7” layer of dense support foam, as well as a transition layer to transfer weight, you’ll have adequate but not superior support across the mattress.
These mattresses are still relatively new, so reliable data related to longevity is not yet available. However, Amerisleep’s patented manufacturing process for its foam is thought to produce a more durable foam with less cost to the environment, and customers rate the mattress highly in terms of the quality of the materials used.
Unlike some of the other Amerisleep models, little to no reviews of the AS5 mention it being either too soft or too firm. It seems that the AS5 lives up to the description on the company website as “the ultimate in softness” in terms of customer satisfaction.
As previously mentioned, the company has taken effective steps in the design of its mattresses to address the heat retention of traditional memory foam. The open-cell structure of its foam and the specialized breathable cover both play a role in providing adequate air flow and should help transfer heat away from the body.
Amerisleep’s patented manufacturing process (which uses more plant-based materials than traditional memory foam) seems to pay off in this area. There are few reports of any lingering odor. You can expect some offgassing in the first few days of use from any mattress, but beyond that the AS5 should be odor free.
A memory foam mattress rated as “ultra-soft” as this one is will not perform ideally when it comes to sex. The AS5 will provide little bounce and although a more responsive foam layer has been added to the comfort layer, you still have 5” of plush foam on top. The transition layer should help to support weight and extra movement, but the sinkage may be an issue for some.
How to take care of your Amerisleep AS5 mattress
Amerisleep mattresses aren’t designed to be flipped. They are suitable for use with any bed support, including the floor, and regular rotating won’t be necessary. If you use a box spring support, you are required to cover the box spring with a sheet of moisture-resistant plywood or risk voiding the warranty. Use a water-proof mattress protector as well, as a spill that caused the foam to break down in any way would also void the warranty.
The AS5’s cover is removable and washable, and the mattress may be vacuumed using a soft brush attachment. The basic guidelines for caring for memory foam apply: avoid harsh chemicals; spot clean only; use a mild detergent mixed with water, or a vinegar and water mixture in a spray bottle. Don’t soak the foam with water or other liquids.
Connect with Amerisleep
For more info on the Amerisleep AS5 mattress, visit Amerisleep on these channels: