What you get with Avocado
Avocado is a relatively new mattress company which launched in 2016. The Avocado Green Mattress is their only mattress offering. Despite being a new mattress on the market, the Avocado Green has received consistently positive reviews from customers. This hybrid latex mattress is a mix of high-quality latex foam layers and an 8” core of innerspring coils. One of its most distinctive features is its zoning of firmness levels to provide the right level of support to each area of the body. The Avocado Green Mattress is made with eco-friendly technologies and sustainable materials.
Here are some key characteristics of the Avocado Green Mattress:
- Pressure point relief: The Avocado Green mattress is made from latex foam that contours to the body and its zoned innerspring coil core assures that each area of the body receives the support it needs.These factors promote healthy spinal alignment and pressure point relief.
- Sleeps cool: The Avocado Green sleeps much cooler than most other foam mattresses. This is because its a hybrid with a highly breathable innerspring coil core and cool, natural latex foam.
- Two firmness options: Sleepers can choose the standard 11” Avocado Green, or they can add an additional 2” pillow-top layer of natural Dunlop latex foam for an additional cost. This layer of extra comfort and support is an excellent option for heavier sleepers.
- Eco-friendly: The Avocado green is made with 100% natural, eco-friendly, and sustainable materials. It has received third-party certifications from Greenguard, Eco-institut, Oeko-Tex, and The Global Organic Textile Standard.
Consumers have also reported some potential weaknesses:
- May be too firm: Some lighter sleepers have complained that the Avocado Green is too firm. Sleepers who enjoy a softer mattress may want to look elsewhere.
- Very heavy: Over a thousand steel coils and inches of dense foam contribute to the weight of this mattress. It will take more than one person to maneuver and set up the Avocado Green Mattress.
Price (Queen): $1,399 ($1,799 with added pillow top)
Type: Latex hybrid
Sleep trial: 100 nights
Warranty: 25 years
Shipping: Free shipping
Manufactured in: USA
Avocado came to life in 2016 when Jeff and Alexandra D’Andrea noticed, as they were shopping, that there was no environmentally friendly mattress on the market that suited their needs. Instead of lowering their expectations, they decided to create a green mattress that met their standards. The Avocado company is self-financed and only employs a small number of people. Their original goal remains the same today: to provide a comfortable and affordable, but above all, eco-friendly mattress.
The Avocado brand positions itself first as an eco-friendly mattress company, and second as a provider of comfort and support. This has led to a lot of positive feedback from customers and activists alike. On Avocado’s website, they have received an average of 4.5/5 stars out of over 1000 reviews. It should be noted, though, that Avocado has not been rated by the Better Business Bureau and that their mattress hasn’t accrued enough reviews on other sites to form a reliable third-party opinion.
Avocado is also seen in a positive light for being transparent in all of their practices. Their company accepted no outside financing, and they list, in great detail, the procedures and materials used in the process of manufacturing an Avocado Green mattress. Avocado also engages in charitable giving by donating 1% of all corporate profits to philanthropic and environmental programs.
- Firm comfort
- Zoned support design
- Sleeps cool
- No offgassing odor
- 100-night sleep trial
- 25-year warranty
- May be too firm for some
A look at the Avocado Green Mattress
The Avocado Green Mattress is an American made, 100% eco-friendly and all-natural mattress. It is comprised of four layers (two comfort layers and two base layers) with the option to add another 2” pillow-top comfort layer at an additional cost. Let’s break down what the Avocado mattress is made of.
- ½ inch Joma New Zealand wool: The top wool layer of the Avocado mattress helps to regulate temperature, prevent moisture, and is antimicrobial. It is also comfortable to the touch and provides a soft point of contact for the body.
- 2 inches natural 100% Dunlop latex rubber foam (4 inches if pillow-top layer is purchased): Natural latex is more responsive, breathable, and eco-friendly than synthetic foams. This comfort layer is supportive yet soft and very durable. It also provides a good balance between low motion transfer, ease of mobility, and bounce.
- 8-inch innerspring coil core: The majority of the Avocado Green Mattress is made up of its innerspring coil core. This support layer contains over 1000 coils, which are made in the USA from recycled steel. The coil core is divided into three different support zones. The pelvic and shoulder zones are slightly softer while the lumbar zone is firmer. This helps promote optimal spinal alignment.
- 1-inch high-density 100% Dunlop latex rubber foam: An additional base layer of extra-dense foam makes the Avocado Green Mattress especially supportive. Encasing the innerspring coil layer also adds to the durability of the mattress.
The Avocado Green Mattress is encased in an organic cotton cover. This cover is breathable and moisture wicking, and it is held in place by hand-knit Joma wool buttons.
The Avocado Green Mattress is manufactured in California, in the USA.
Avocado costs and guarantees
|Model||Size||Weight (lbs)||Price without pillow-top layer||Price with pillow-top layer|
|Avocado Green Mattress||Twin||80||$959||$1199|
|Avocado Green Mattress||Twin XL||87||$999||$1299|
|Avocado Green Mattress||Full||111||$1199||$1499|
|Avocado Green Mattress||Queen||132||$1399||$1799|
|Avocado Green Mattress||King||167||$1599||$2099|
|Avocado Green Mattress||California King||166||$1599||$2099|
The Avocado mattress includes a 100-night sleep trial. If at any time during this trial period a sleeper decides that the mattress isn’t what they expected, it can be returned for a full refund. Avocado will arrange for the mattress to be picked up and returned at no cost.
The Avocado Green Mattress ships for free within the continental USA. They also offer an in-home setup service for an additional fee of $99.
After ordering an Avocado mattress, it will take about 5 days for the mattress to be made. The mattress will then be boxed and shipped. Shipping can take up to 2 weeks. It is important to note that this mattress does not ship compressed, so it arrives in a very large box that is quite difficult to move. Customers who are not ready to do some heavy lifting should consider the setup service.
The Avocado Green Mattress comes with a 25-year warranty, which covers manufacturer’s defects.
Avocado offers a financing service that allows customers to pay for a mattress over the course of three, six, or twelve months. The financing rate starts at 0% APR.
How the Avocado Green Mattress performs
The Avocado Green Mattress has performed quite well in all areas tested. As it has two firmness options, sleepers can easily choose a level of comfort that fits their needs. Let’s take a more in-depth look at how the Avocado mattress performs.
Motion transfer in the Avocado mattress is quite low. This is due to the individually wrapped innerspring coils and the top layer of latex foam. When sharing the mattress, one sleeper won’t feel much even as the other tosses and turns. As it is an innerspring mattress, the Avocado Green has more motion transfer than denser, foam mattresses, but the Avocado performs surprisingly well for a hybrid. Keep in mind that there will be less motion transfer if the optional pillow-top comfort layer is purchased.
As the Avocado Green Mattress is quite dense, it has good edge support with minimal depression upon sitting or sleeping. Sleepers who find themselves resting on the edge of the bed won’t have to worry about sacrificing support or comfort.
The materials that Avocado uses to make their mattress are sourced, tested, and certified for their superior quality. They claim that their Joma wool maintains its freshness. The Dunlop latex is said to be superior in its resilience and durability, and the solid steel innersprings are built to last.
Avocado makes all of their mattresses to order in the USA. They also manufacture everything under very strict quality control and environmental guidelines. Consumers always receive a brand new, uncompressed mattress, and if any defects are found, Avocado will replace the mattress for free.
The Avocado Green Mattress ranks at a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, which indicates a medium-firm mattress. If the pillow-top comfort layer is added, the rating drops to a 6. The firmness of the Avocado mattress is important to take into consideration because some sleepers, depending on their sleep type, may not find the mattress comfortable. A rating of 6 indicates an ideal level of firmness for most types of sleepers, but a 7 may be too firm for side-sleepers.
The firmness of the latex combined with the coil support core make the Avocado a great choice for heavier sleepers. This mattress won’t compress much even under considerable weight. Heavy sleepers are recommended to choose a mattress that is at least 12” thick, so adding the pillow-top comfort layer is advised.
One aspect that customers are consistently happy with in the Avocado Green Mattress is its temperature control. This has everything to do with the quality of the natural materials used in its production. Natural fibers are inherently more breathable than synthetic ones, and this mattress is 100% natural. It is also comprised mainly of its 8” coil core, and innerspring mattresses retain much less heat than foam mattresses.
As well as being breathable, the Avocado also features Joma wool and an organic cotton cover to wick moisture and prevent sleepers from waking up sweaty, even on hot nights.
Offgassing is an odor produced by synthetic foam mattresses after they are removed from a vacuum seal. One of the original goals of the Avocado Green’s creators was to make a foam mattress with no off-gassing odor. As their mattress is 100% natural and contains no synthetic foam, it produces no offgassing smell.
The Avocado Green Mattress is quite firm, but it is also responsive. Latex foam is known for having more bounce than synthetic memory foam, making it better for mobility and sex. It also creates a soft, plush surface that makes couples feel like spending a bit more time in bed.
How to take care of your Avocado Green Mattress
The organic cotton cover of the Avocado Green Mattress is not removable, so it is important to keep food and liquids out of bed. It also advisable to buy a mattress protector to increase the life of the mattress and protect its warranty.
Avocado also recommends that sleepers rotate their mattress 180 degrees every 3-6 months. This helps to uniformly distribute weight, therefore adding life to the mattress. The Avocado Green Mattress is not flippable.
Connect with Avocado
To learn more about the Avocado Green Mattress, connect with Avocado through these channels: