Sleeping with a partner
For many couples, communication is key for a happy relationship, especially when it comes to big decisions. Housing, transportation, kids, relatives, budgets, retirement – all are important topics that are near the top of the list. But how often do you talk with your partner about your mattress?
It may be more important than you realize. Your mattress is the factor with the single greatest influence on the quality of your sleep, and the quality of the sleep you’re getting can affect your work, your relationship with your significant other, and even your sex life.
Searching for the right mattress, and making a long-term commitment to one, seems like double the challenge when you’re shopping for two. Sharing a mattress can be difficult if you and your partner have different body sizes, different preferences when it comes to comfort levels, and different sleeping styles. If one of you sleeps on your side and the other on your back, for instance, you’ll find that what’s good for a side-sleeper isn’t always what’s best for a back-sleeper.
The best way to approach a problem is to simplify it first. In this guide, we’ll break down in simple terms the mattress qualities that make sharing a bed easier, the manufacturing components that contribute to easier sleep with your significant other, and share our top picks for the best mattresses for couples.
|Brand/Model||Price/Discount||Highlights||Trial Period/Warranty||Mattress Type||Our Review|
Buy yours from Amazon
|Customizable based on sleeper profile, poly foam and innerspring hybrid, even weight distribution, good pressure relief||100 nights / 10 years||Hybrid|
|Loom & Leaf||$1,099 |
Get free white glove delivery and mattress removal
|Firm, extra support for side sleepers, even weight distribution, free white glove delivery||120 nights / 15 years||Memory foam|
Buy yours from Amazon
|Great durability, built-in cooling technology, promotes natural spinal and body alignment||101 nights / 20 years||Latex hybrid|
Get $75 off code and two free pillows
|Rearrangable layers, breathable design, reasonably priced||1000 nights / 10 years||Hybrid|
|Alexander Signature Hybrid||$1,199 |
Get $150 off with our exclusive discount
|13", 5-zone pocketed coils, good edge support, durable foam||100 nights / 20 years||Hybrid|
Buy yours from Amazon
|Supportive for spinal alignment, good pressure relief for side sleepers, excellent body contouring||100 nights / 10 years non-prorated||Memory foam|
Sleep questions for couples
Before you set out to find the perfect mattress, it’s best to do a little advanced planning. For starters, a quick self-assessment of you and your partner’s sleeping needs and preferences will help you organize the search and narrow down your best options. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do we sleep on different schedules?
- Do we sleep in different sleeping positions?
- Do we prefer the same firmness in our mattress?
- Is there a difference in our body weights of more than 20 pounds?
- Is there a difference in our height of more than 3”?
- Does one or both of us already have a favorite mattress type?
- Do either of us change position often while sleeping?
- Are either of us very light sleepers?
- Does one of us get up in the night?
- Do either of us sleep hot?
- Are either of us sensitive to noise?
Your answers to this quick assessment will guide you in your search. Finding a mattress that suits you both can be challenging but not impossible. The best mattresses for couples offer versatility. Some of our top picks even provide adjustable features that make compromise unnecessary. Read on to discover some of our favorite features for couples.
What should couples look for in a mattress?
Once you embark on the mattress-shopping journey, you may find confusing descriptions of mattress components, comfort levels, manufacturing processes, and materials. The critical features to look for when searching for the right mattress for you can be broken down into the following categories.
- Temperature control: While working up a sweat is not always a bad thing, an overly absorbent mattress without adequate airflow can be. Cooling foam is generally short-term in its effect. If either you or your partner tend to sleep hot, look for features like convoluted or channeled foam and pocketed coils. These features will still absorb body heat, but should help transfer it away from both of you as you sleep.
- Firmness: The comfort level (how firm or soft the mattress is) can be the most challenging area for co-sleepers. For a couple with very different firmness preferences, it would seem that one of you might have to sacrifice your needs for the other. Happily, in today’s customizable world, you’ll find mattresses that offer adjustable options and allow you to set your side of the bed to fit your individual preference.
- Motion isolation: The newer mattresses on the market have also taken great strides when it comes to motion transfer. If you sleep with a restless partner, this is welcome news. The addition of memory foam top layers, as well as advances in the design and construction of inner coils, mean that you can now sleep soundly even if your partner isn’t. New foam technology ensures that the motion of your partner is absorbed by the mattress rather than being transferred to your side of the bed instantly.
- Sex: When it comes to recreational activities, it’s still nice to have a mattress that features a bit of give and take. Luckily you won’t have to sacrifice motion isolation for the responsiveness and desirable bounce which are ideal for sex. New hybrid mattresses will deliver both.
Recommendations for different types of couples
Every couple is different and faces a unique set of challenges while shopping for the perfect mattress. Some couples will be sharing a living space for the first time and shopping for a mattress can be exciting. Other couples have been sharing the same bed for decades and all the quirks and ingrained habits of their partners are now woven into the fabric of their lives. In either case, you can find a mattress that will give both of you the quality of sleep you deserve. Here are a few common couple-types that tend to have mattress challenges and the best way to solve them:
Heavier couples: People who weigh over 200 lbs. (defined as “heavy sleepers”) often have mattress troubles that lighter-weight sleepers don’t have, such as poor support and overheating. These problems can lead to unsatisfying sleep as well as aches and pains throughout the day. Understand that a “heavy” sleeper doesn’t necessarily refer to an overweight person. Many people who weigh over 200 lbs. are perfectly healthy, but may still have trouble sleeping on the wrong mattress.
If you and your partner are in this weight range, you’ll want a mattress that measures a total of at least 12” in thickness. The higher quality the materials, and thicker the layers, the more durable and supportive the mattress. Also, look for adequate edge support and temperature control with features like pocketed coils.
Couples with different schedules: Couples with different schedules also have unique concerns around sleep. You may be a night owl who stays up late, and you worry about disturbing your partner when going to bed. You may work a late shift and go to bed just before your partner’s alarm goes off.
This type of schedule difference points to a need for a strong, stable mattress that won’t transfer motion easily, so that one partner is not disturbed by the other and sleep goes on uninterrupted. A memory foam mattress, or a hybrid with memory foam comfort layers, is ideal in this situation. Memory foam excels in the area of motion isolation. Couples with different schedules have even described it as a marriage saver.
Couples with different body types: Another common challenge faced by couples is that of size – some partners are completely different sizes and therefore have completely different mattress needs. The key quality to search for in this case is versatility. Certain hybrid mattresses combine the features needed by a variety of different body types — innerspring layers for support and foam layers for comfort and pressure relief.
Surprisingly, the one-size-fits-all mattress in a box trend can help in this case as well. These mattresses have often been engineered to serve multiple purposes and specifically designed to suit many types. Look for high-quality materials including dense foam, which is capable of providing support and cushioned comfort at the same time. Check out the customer feedback section of our full reviews, for an overview of real-life customer experiences.
Sleeping as a couple while pregnant
Sleeping while pregnant can be uncomfortable to say the least. The best mattresses during pregnancy offer pressure relief, because changing position becomes difficult in the later months. Comfort and support are critical throughout.
As a result, this may not be the best time to go with a completely foam mattress, unless it’s latex. The motion isolation offered by memory foam may be appreciated by a pregnant sleeper, but getting up and down may present a challenge, and the added cushion and lack of spring of a 100% foam mattress will not be helpful in this case. Feeling stuck in the mattress is not a sensation that a pregnant mom will enjoy. If you love foam, latex with its added support and responsiveness may fit the bill. Here are a few features to look for:
- Overall support
- Edge support
- Pressure relief
- Foam layers with proper density
The best mattresses for couples
By combining customer review data with mattress specifications from the manufacturers, we’ve selected our top picks in this category. These brands also rate highly across the board with verified customers. Some of the design features you’ll find with these brands are critical when it comes to a mattress best for couples. Others offer specific features that may be desirable based on your own unique preferences.
Helix is known for its customizable mattresses designed based on a proprietary Helix Sleep Quiz. Customers can take the quiz to share preferences about sleeping positions, sleeping partner preferences, and current issues with sleeping, pain, and temperature, among other sleep-related information. Based on the sleeper’s profile, Helix will design a custom mattress to offer a balance of both comfort and support tailored to each sleeper. Top features that make this a great mattress for couples include:
- Helix Dynamic polyfoam: This material is not memory foam or latex, but a proprietary polyfoam that is certified by the CertiPUR-US and designed to be contouring, cooling, and offer comfort and pressure relief. The polyfoam gives the mattress a strong and durable foundation perfect for heavier sleepers who need extra support but love the comfort of foam.
- Pocketed micro-coils: These micro-coils help distribute weight evenly across the mattress, and offer some bounce while still effectively absorbing motion across the mattress. You won’t have to make a sacrifice in your sex life for sleep.
- Personalization: A variety of options are available for sleepers with Helix mattresses, and the company designs each mattress based on sleepers’ preferences. Your needs as a couple will be accommodated.
- Comfort: The combination of Dynamic foam and micro-coils offers pressure relief and body contouring with weight distribution. That makes this mattress perform well in providing consistent comfort and pressure relief specific to each sleeper.
Helix does not rely on the one-size-fits-all concept, which makes it stand apart from many other bed-in-a-box companies.
Do your research on Helix by reading our full Helix mattress review.
Loom & Leaf
Loom & Leaf makes memory foam mattresses in the U.S. and is the sister company to Saatva. This mattress can provide the best of both worlds for couples with distinct individual needs because of the density and overall thickness of the foam layers used. With this mattress you won’t need to sacrifice support for couple-friendly qualities like motion isolation. The top features that make this a great mattress for couples include:
- Motion isolation: This mattress performs well in absorbing movement. When a sleeper’s partner moves or gets up at night, minimal to no motion is felt on other areas of the mattress.
- Comfort/pressure relief: Multiple layers of memory foam are designed to offer body contouring and pressure relief. The memory foam used also helps distribute weight evenly across the mattress. The foam layers combined measure in a 12” in thickness and range from 4 to 5 lb. in density. This foam will not degrade quickly and will offer the right combination of softness and support for a couple.
- Support: Loom & Leaf’s layers include a 2” transition layer and a 5.5” support layer of high-density foam. The added support and density of these layers makes for a memory foam mattress that can adapt well to two different sleepers and will hold up under weight.
Loom & Leaf mattresses are constructed in the U.S. The company stands out from other brands because of its delivery and setup service, making it perfect for busy couples on the go.
Read all about Loom & Leaf in our full Loom & Leaf mattress review.
Loom & Leaf Coupon
Buy your Loom & Leaf and get free white glove delivery and mattress removal
The GhostBed mattress is an 11-inch hybrid foam latex mattress that has four different layers, and is available in one firmness level (medium to medium-firm). The mattress is unique because of its aerated latex comfort layer that helps regulate body temperature and offers body cradling and pressure relief. The same unique features that make it an overall great mattress make it a strong mattress choice for couples with distinct sleeping needs. The top features that make this a great mattress for couples include:
- Support: For a foam hybrid mattress, the GhostBed mattress has above-average support. The high-density foam support core layer coupled with a middle support layer provide a supportive foundation that will meet any pair of sleepers’ needs.
- Temperature control: GhostBed mattresses have built-in cooling technology that starts on the top mattress layer with an aerated latex foam, which is designed to offer airflow. The cooling features continue into the middle support layer, which is a gel-infused memory foam constructed to prevent heat trapping. For heavier couples or couples who sleep hot, this is a great solution.
- Motion isolation: GhostBed mattress layers are designed to effectively absorb motion to prevent movement from transferring to other parts of the mattress, which is ideal for a couple with one restless partner.
GhostBed mattresses are made in the U.S. and are compatible with box springs, platform, or slatted platform foundations.
Go in-depth with GhostBed by reading our full GhostBed mattress review.
Luxi makes a mattress designed to meet the needs of couples. The adjustable Luxi mattress comes in 2 models, and for the larger sizes, the foam layers are split into two sections. This feature allows dual customization of the firmness level by rearranging the layers on either side. The top features that make this a great mattress for couples include:
- Customized firmness level: Luxi offers you the ability to customize the bed based on your sleeping preferences. Once you unzip the memory foam quilted layer, the other layers can be reordered and flipped according to your own desired comfort combination. Stomach sleepers can place the supportive latex layer on top, while side sleepers can go for the body-contouring memory foam.
- Temperature control: Even warm sleepers should sleep comfortably on this mattress due to several features included to enhance breathability. The base layer of polyfoam has an open cell structure, and when you combine that with the addition of a latex layer and the open-channeled “SBT” layer, you have the formula for enhanced airflow and a cooler sleep for both you and your partner.
- Value and durability: Billed as a luxury mattress, both the LuxiOne and the Luxi are reasonably priced mattresses made from durable materials. The addition of memory foam inside the quilted cover is indicative of the overall high quality of the materials used in this mattress.
Both models, the Luxi and the LuxiOne (non-adjustable), are combination memory foam/latex foam mattresses made up of 4 core layers that offer both support and comfort.
Take a closer look at the Luxi by reading our full Luxi mattress review.
Get $75 off the Luxi mattress plus two free pillows!
Alexander Signature Hybrid
The Alexander Signature Hybrid mattress made by Nest Bedding features foam with a pocket-coil innerspring (4 layers in total) and is another good option for couples with different needs. The company uses CertiPUR-certified foam and manufactures the mattress in the US. It offers the durability and strength along with the comfort and edge support that are all required to rank highly for couples. With this mattress, you won’t have to sacrifice pressure relief and comfort for one partner to accommodate the ease of movement and responsiveness needs of another. Top features that make this a great mattress for couples include:
- Firmness: Unlike most bed-in-a-box companies, Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid is available in two firmness levels (medium and luxury firm) and offers the right combination of comfort and support.
- Quality of construction: The innerspring layer is topped with one layer of quilted foam, a layer of copper-infused gel foam, and a transition layer. The organic materials and eco-friendly manufacturing make for a well-made bed at a great value.
- Comfort: This mattress is supportive, responsive, and still provides an adequate amount of pressure relief.
The foam used in the top 3 layers of this mattress is 4 lb. density foam, which is more durable than lightweight foam.
For a more detailed look at the Alexander Signature Hybrid check out our full Alexander Signature Hybrid mattress review.
Nest Bedding Coupon
Save $150 on an Alexander Signature Hybrid Mattress!
Leesa is known for its proprietary 3-layer construction that includes Avena foam, memory foam, and a dense core. This can be an ideal combination for couples as well as for heavier sleepers because the upper layers of foam provide comfort and pressure relief, while the support layer adds to the Leesa’s strength and durability. Top features that make this a great mattress for couples include:
- Hybrid foam combination: Leesa utilizes memory foam to achieve comfort and pressure relief but offsets it tendency to sleep hot by layering Avena foam on top (a latex foam alternative). This layering provides airflow, a cool top layer, and comfort while remaining supportive.
- Adaptability: This mattress adapts well to all body shapes and sizes and all sleeping styles. It is useful for couples since each side adapts separately and differently to each partner.
- Quality materials: The Leesa cover is made from a single piece of poly-lycra blend fabric that wraps the entire mattress. The material is woven well and is fairly thick. The foam and support layers combined measure in at 10” of thickness, which speaks to its durability.
All layers are breathable, so the mattress will not absorb excess heat, meaning couples will sleep cool on the Leesa.
Read our full Leesa mattress review to learn more about the Leesa mattress.