Finding the right pillow
Finding the right pillow is one of the most important parts of a good night’s sleep. Many treat pillows as nothing more than accessories for their bed, but in fact, a pillow can greatly affect a sleeper’s quality of life at night and during the day.
The purpose of a pillow is not just to provide a soft cushion for one’s head; it should keep the spine and neck aligned as well. Many suffer the consequences of poor spinal alignment without knowing that their pillow is the culprit. Here are some of the symptoms:
- Stiff muscles
- Pressure and tension
- Aches and pains in the head, neck, shoulders, and back
- Tossing and turning at night
- Poor circulation
Sleepers who suffer from any of these discomforts on a regular basis should consider looking for a new pillow. There are many factors to take into account when choosing a pillow, all of which are crucial to a proper night’s sleep:
- Size: A pillow’s size should correlate to the size of the sleeper.
- Materials: The make-up of a pillow will affect its comfort and support.
- Loft: The height of a pillow is directly related to spinal alignment.
- Density: A firm pillow will provide more support, while a soft pillow will be more malleable.
Before reading on, we strongly suggest you check out our in-depth Guide to Pillows. It will explain exactly what type of pillow is right for you.
If you’re ready to find your new pillow, let’s continue to our guide to the best pillows. This guide has been created by our sleep experts who have exhaustively researched all sleep styles and pillow varieties. The pillows on this list are our top picks for comfort, pain relief, support and reliability.
If you often overheat at night or wake up sweaty, you may want to consult our guide to the Best Cooling Pillows. In this guide, our experts focus exclusively on the best cooling pillows on the market.
The best pillows
This list of the best pillows was compiled by our researchers and experts after many hours of testing, customer consultation and reviews, and analysis of manufacturer specs. Each pillow on this list may not be appropriate for all sleeper types. Every sleeper is different, which is why finding the right pillow is not easy. There will, however, be a top pillow on this list for everyone. To understand more about which type of sleeper you are and which type of pillow is best for you, check out our Guide to Pillows.
Xtreme Comforts Hypoallergenic Pillow
The Xtreme Comforts Hypoallergenic Pillow is a memory foam pillow with a bamboo cover. Its most attractive feature is its adjustability. A sleeper can conveniently unzip the cover and remove some of the shredded memory foam filling in order to change the density and loft. This makes this pillow ideal for most sleeper types (although it might take some experimenting to find the right amount of filling).
The memory foam in this pillow is shredded, which cuts back on the density but adds to the comfort. With enough foam inside, the pillow provides adequate support for the neck and head and has been reported to alleviate aches and pain quickly.
- Adjustable: Sleepers can add or remove filling in order to find the ideal support level.
- Cool: The Xtreme Comforts Hypoallergenic Pillow features a micro-vented bamboo cover to regulate temperature.
- Hypoallergenic: This pillow is resistant to dust mites and other allergens.
- Machine washable: The Xtreme Comforts pillow is easily washable, which is uncommon among memory foam pillows.
- Warranty: This pillow comes with a six-year warranty, which is higher than the industry standard.
Find out more and purchase the Xtreme Comforts Hypoallergenic Pillow.
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Pillow
Latex is one of the best pillow materials a sleeper can choose due to its breathability, bounce, and support. The Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex pillow has all of these qualities and more. This pillow is a solid foam pillow (opposed to shredded), so it offers dense, solid support that won’t flatten over time. The pillow is vented for breathability and covered by a bamboo case to further increase its cooling capabilities.
The Brooklyn Latex pillow is also one of the best pillows for neck pain. It has the same contour-support as memory foam, so it will hold the neck in alignment with the spine. It has been reported to soothe and eliminate neck pain after just a few nights. This pillow has a medium loft but doesn’t sink in, so we recommend it for side and back sleepers more than stomach sleepers.
- Supportive: The Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex pillow provides strong support that doesn’t flatten or lose shape.
- Breathable: Vented foam and a bamboo cover make the Brooklyn latex pillow an optimal choice for a cool night’s sleep.
- Springy: The Brooklyn Latex pillow has more bounce than memory foam, and offers support without sacrificing mobility.
- Washable: The bamboo cover is machine washable.
Buy the Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex pillow now from Amazon.
Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
What makes the Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow special isn’t just it’s adjustability and dual-cover system; it’s also the excellent service provided by Coop to assist all sleepers to find the perfect pillow for their sleep type. This memory foam offering is fully adjustable, meaning foam can be added or removed by unzipping the cover.
If you still aren’t able to find the right level of comfort and support, Coop offers free customer consultations in which they work with each sleeper to create the perfect foam blend for his or her sleep style. The Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam pillow is suitable for all sleepers who love the support of memory foam.
- Adjustable: The Coop Shredded Memory Foam pillow is fully customizable. Just unzip the cover and remove or add foam.
- Customer service: Coop offers free consultations and a 100-day sleep trial.
- Hypoallergenic: The Coop Shredded Memory Foam pillow is naturally resistant to dust mites and allergens.
- Dual-cover system: The inner interlock cover holds the foam and adds comfort. An outer polyester/bamboo cover diffuses heat and stays cool.
- Warranty: The Coop Shredded Memory Foam pillow comes with a money-back guarantee that it won’t flatten for five years.
Order your Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow today.
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Memory Foam Pillow
The Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Memory Foam Pillow is an ultra-soft memory foam pillow. It aims to imitate the softness of down while providing adequate support to the neck and spine. This shredded memory foam pillow is a great option for stomach sleepers who need extra support. This pillow is softer and has a lower loft than other foam pillows, making it ideal for this sleeper type.
This is also an ideal option for petite sleepers who are looking for a memory foam pillow with less loft. The Snuggle-Pedic is fully adjustable. It’s easy to change the density and loft of this pillow, but keep in mind that it is very light and soft, so it might not have the density that heavier sleepers need.
- Comfort: The Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Memory Foam pillow is very soft and comfortable.
- Support: The Snuggle-Pedic may be soft, but its high-quality memory foam holds its shape and supports neck and spinal alignment.
- Allergen-resistant: This pillow is resistant to dust mites and other allergy-causing intruders.
- Adjustable: The Snuggle-Pedic pillow can be unzipped to remove or add foam.
- Warranty: This pillow comes with an industry-topping 20-year warranty.
For more information or to buy the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Memory Foam Pillow, visit Amazon.
Pacific Coast Feather Double Down Around Down And Feather Pillow
One problem with down pillows is that they compress too easily. This problem has been solved by the Pacific Coast Feather Double Down Around Down And Feather Pillow. What Pacific Coast has done is put one feather pillow inside another down pillow. The inner pillow is firm and guarantees loft and support. The outer pillow is full of down and provides the luxurious softness that down is associated with.
Along with being soft and supportive, the Double Down Around Down also excels where other down pillows fall short. This pillow is guaranteed allergy-free and is covered by a densely woven cotton cover to prevent feathers from escaping. Back and side sleepers who enjoy the comfort of down but have suffered from lack of support can now rest easy.
- Support: The Double Down Around Down pillow features the softness of down without sacrificing support.
- Allergen-free: This pillow is guaranteed allergen-free or your money back.
- Washable: The Double Down Around Down pillow is machine washable, which is uncommon in down pillows.
- Eco-friendly: Naturally sourced down leaves a carbon footprint of nearly zero.
- Durable: The Double Down Around Down pillow is reported to easily last over a decade.
The Pacific Coast Feather Double Down Around Down And Feather Pillow is available now.
Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow
The Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow is filled with a plush gel fiber that rivals the support of foam pillows while remaining much lighter and cooler. The loft on this may be a bit high for stomach sleepers, but it is highly recommended for back, side, and combination sleepers, as well as sleepers who overheat at night.
The Beckham Hotel Collection Gel pillow is allergen- and chemical-free, making it an ideal choice for anyone suffering from allergies or respiratory issues of any kind. It is also stain-resistant, so it would make a good addition to the bed of a child who wakes up often.
- Comfort: The Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow is highly rated for its level of comfort.
- Affordable: This gel pillow is much less expensive than foam or down.
- Resistant: The Beckham Hotel Gel pillow is resistant to allergens, mold, mildew, stains, and fading.
- Washable: This pillow is machine washable.
To purchase your Beckham Hotel Collection Gel Pillow, visit Amazon.
Qbedding Buckwheat Pillow
The only buckwheat pillow on this list is ideal for those with common allergies, feather allergies, or for those who need an extra dense pillow. The Qbedding Buckwheat Pillow offers the density and breathability that may benefit heavier sleepers along with strong support that won’t flatten over time.
Buckwheat is an organic and all-natural material that massages the head and neck as one sleeps. The Qbedding Buckwheat Pillows is full of small buckwheat hulls that feel similar to soft beans in a beanbag or stress ball. The buckwheat shifts and condenses to form-fit to a sleeper’s neck and head as they rest. Buckwheat pillows have been reported to improve circulation and increase sleep quality. The Qbedding Buckwheat pillow is one of the most breathable options and is naturally hypoallergenic.
- Dense: The Qbedding Buckwheat pillow won’t flatten or compress. This pillow will provide consistent support throughout the night.
- Quiet: Double seams keep the buckwheat in place to prevent noise.
- Cool: The Qbedding pillow combines heat-resistant buckwheat with a breathable, 100% cotton cover.
- Adjustable: Buckwheat can be added or removed from the Qbedding pillow in order to adjust the loft.
- Organic: The Qbedding Buckwheat pillow is made from 100% organic buckwheat hulls.
Learn more about the benefits of the Qbedding Buckwheat Pillow or buy one of your own.
BeautyRest Firm Support NaturesLoft Pillow
This may be the best pillow for side sleepers looking for an affordable yet supportive option. The BeautyRest Firm Support NaturesLoft Pillow is a very firm yet comfortable pillow for sleepers who want long-lasting support without the sinking-in feeling of foam pillows.
The BeautyRest Firm Support NaturesLoft pillow compliments its firmness with a soft, 300-thread-count cotton cover that is cool to the cheek and soft to the touch. Customers have reported it to be comfortable and breathable despite its density. It’s filled with premium NaturesLoft fabric that is durable and remains firm even after many washes. Side sleepers looking for a higher loft that won’t compress will be satisfied with this pillow.
- Ultra-firm: The NaturesLoft pillow will not compress or sink in. Its extra-firm support is ideal for sleepers big and small.
- Affordable: This cotton and NaturesLoft fiber pillow is much less expensive than other top pillows made with foams and feathers.
- Durable: The NaturesLoft pillow is built to be firm and to remain firm over time.
- Washable: This pillow is safe to machine wash and dry.
Read more or purchase the BeautyRest Firm Support NaturesLoft Pillow.