What you get with the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress
Brentwood Home produces mattresses and sleep accessories from its home in Los Angeles. The company produces four mattresses as well as bedding for adults, children, and pets.
The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress is the premium option of the four mattresses. It is a bed-in-a-box mattress which ships directly to the consumer’s home. The 13” mattress is a latex hybrid mattress, meaning it combines elements of latex and traditional innerspring mattresses. The Cedar consists of 6 layers of latex, innerspring coils, and natural materials as well as a cotton mattress cover.
Here are some of the key characteristics of the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress:
- Zoned for comfort: Different areas of the Brentwood Home Cedar have different comfort and firmness levels to properly support each area of the body. A ventilated latex layer is computer-designed and cut into a grooved pattern to provide different levels of comfort and support for the back, shoulders, and legs. The innerspring coil layer features five different support zones to ensure optimal spinal alignment and firm edge support.
- Eco-friendly: All the materials used in the production of the Brentwood Home Cedar are natural and eco-friendly. This includes natural latex, wool, coconut husk, and organic cotton. All-natural mattresses are good for the environment, but they also benefit from more airflow and no offgassing odor.
- Temperature control: The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress features ventilated latex and is topped with a thick wool comfort layer and an organic cotton mattress cover. These all-natural materials are highly breathable. They keep sleepers cool and sweat-free in the summer and insulate well in the winter.
- 120-day sleep trial: The Cedar mattress comes with a 120-day sleep trial, which is longer than the industry standard.
There are also some possible weaknesses in the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress:
- Low motion isolation: The Brentwood Home Cedar is an innerspring mattress topped with highly responsive latex, which means this mattress has a good deal of bounce. It is likely that a sleeper will feel some disturbance when a partner changes position. Sleepers who wake up easily may want to consider a different mattress.
- Poor warranty coverage: The warranty provided by Brentwood Home lasts for 25 years, but its coverage is sub-par compared to other mattress companies.
Price (Queen): $1,795
Type: Latex hybrid
Sleep trial: 120 nights
Warranty: 25 years
Shipping: Free shipping
Manufactured in: USA
About Brentwood Home
Brentwood Home has been producing mattresses and sleep accessories for over 30 years. They are dedicated to two principles: producing high-quality, handcrafted materials from local artisans and making products in a sustainable and eco-friendly way. Brentwood Home designs and produces all of its products in Los Angeles, CA.
Brentwood Home launched its direct-to-consumer line of goods in 2012. Before this point, its products had been available only at retail outlets. It now offers four mattress varieties as well as a number of other sleep products like sheets, pillows, and quilts.
Brentwood Home and the Cedar mattress both have received positive feedback from consumers. Brentwood Home products and service are consistently rated higher than 4 stars out of five by customers on Brentwood Home’s website and Amazon. Brentwood Home currently has a grade of “B-” on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. An unresolved conflict was cited as a reason for the less-than-perfect score.
The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress currently holds a score of about 4.5 of 5 stars on the Brentwood Home website. The Cedar doesn’t have a score on Amazon, as it is not listed there.
- Zoned support
- Sleeps cool
- 120-day sleep trial
- Low motion isolation
- Below-average warranty
A look at the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress
The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress is a 13” hybrid mattress comprised of 6 layers of all-natural materials and an organic cotton cover.
- New Zealand Wool: New Zealand Wool is compressed and knit into the mattress cover to provide the Cedar mattress with a soft and breathable surface. The wool also wicks moisture, which helps to prevent sleepers from waking up sweaty.
- 2” Dunlop latex: The comfort layer of the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress is made of natural and responsive latex that provides a mix of support and soft comfort.
- 2” grooved latex: This latex layer is computer-designed and grooved to create three different comfort zones for the areas of the body that need support the most: the back, shoulders, and legs. Keeping these areas in the right position is key to proper spinal alignment. This layer is also ventilated to facilitate airflow.
- Flaxseed fiber pad: A thin yet supportive pad made from organic flaxseed separates the latex and innerspring coil layers.
- 8” individually wrapped coils: The bulk of the mattress is made up of an innerspring coil core. Each spring is wrapped individually to provide optimal support to each area of the body. The coils are calibrated to form five support zones across the mattress. Three zones correlate with the grooved latex layer to provide adequate support to the back, shoulders, and legs. Two more zones bolster the sides and edges of the mattress to guarantee proper edge support.
- 1” coconut husk support layer: A hard and supportive base to the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress is provided by coconut husk. This foundation for the innerspring coils helps the mattress to keep its form and distribute weight effectively.
Other features of the Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress include an organic cotton cover and organic cotton fiber quilting.
The mattress cover is made of all-natural cotton and is hand-tufted. This process secures the layers of the mattress without the need for chemical adhesives or toxic glues. Organic cotton is also highly breathable and soft to the touch.
The panels and borders of the mattress are not filled with the foam or plastic that can be found in other mattresses. The Brentwood Home Cedar uses only cotton fiber quilting to ensure the highest degree of comfort at the edges of the mattress.
The Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress is manufactured in the USA.
Brentwood Home costs and guarantees
|Brentwood Home Cedar||Twin||$1,295||80|
|Brentwood Home Cedar||Twin XL||$1,395||90|
|Brentwood Home Cedar||Full||$1,595||115|
|Brentwood Home Cedar||Queen||$1,795||135|
|Brentwood Home Cedar||King||$2,395||170|
|Brentwood Home Cedar||California King||$2,395||170|
|Brentwood Home Cedar||Split King||$2,595||175|
The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress comes with a 120-day sleep trial. Brentwood Home requests that sleepers try the mattress for 30 days before requesting a return. If during the next 90 days, a sleeper decides that the mattress is not a good fit, Brentwood Home will issue a full refund and arrange for the mattress to be taken away for free. The sleep trial only applies if the mattress was purchased directly from the Brentwood Home website.
The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress ships for free in the continental US and typically arrives within 1-5 business days.
The mattress ships rolled and compressed in a box. To set up the mattress, remove it from the box and lay it, still rolled, on the bed frame of your choice. Cut the first layer of plastic to unroll the mattress. Next, cut the second layer and remove all the plastic. The mattress will expand on its own over the next few hours.
It is critical that the mattress be removed from the box and decompressed as soon as possible. Leaving the mattress compressed for too long may damage it and void the warranty.
The Brentwood Home Cedar comes with a 25-year limited warranty which covers manufacturer defects. The coverage provided by Brentwood Home is minimal compared to other warranties.
Basic manufacturer defects will allow for a complete replacement within the first 10 years. From the eleventh year, Brentwood will only cover 50% of the cost to replace the mattress. Each subsequent year will add an additional 5% to the cost of replacement until the 21st year. This means that if a customer wants to replace their mattress after 20 years, they will have to pay 95% of the cost out of pocket.
Additionally, Brentwood Home will cover visible sinkage into the mattress of no less than 2”, while most other warranties guarantee a replacement after just 1” of sinkage.
Brentwood Home offers a financing option for customers that would like to purchase the Cedar mattress. Consumers can apply for financing at check-out on the Brentwood Home website. Financing is available for as low as 0% APR.
How the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress performs
The Cedar mattress has generated positive feedback from customers and online publications. As its price reflects, the Cedar is a luxury hybrid mattress made from the finest natural materials. The comfort, durability, and breathability of this mattress rank quite high compared to similar mattresses. Although this mattress is a high-end option, it is not without its faults. Let’s take a more in-depth look at how the Cedar mattress performs.
The biggest fault in the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress may be its lack of motion isolation. The mattress is designed to be highly responsive. The latex springs back into shape quite quickly when a sleeper moves, opposed to memory foam which requires more time to retake its shape. Then there are the innerspring coils. Innerspring coil mattresses offer the least motion isolation of any mattress type. These factors combine to create a high degree of motion transfer. It’s likely that a sleeper will be able to feel the motion of a partner changing position, and even larger disturbances will be caused by a sleeper getting into or out of bed.
It’s important to note that high responsiveness is not necessarily a bad thing. Elderly and heavier sleepers may enjoy the ease of movement that comes from a mattress with more bounce, while some sleepers prefer this to the sinking-in feeling of memory foam. In the end, the choice between more bounce and more motion isolation comes down to personal preference.
The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress has highly supportive edges. Innerspring mattresses typically have better edge support than foam mattresses, but the Cedar goes a step further by zoning the coils around the edges of the mattress to provide firmer support. The result is a mattress with uniform support whether a sleeper is lying in the middle of the mattress or on its edge. The edges also experience very little sagging when someone sits upright on them.
The Cedar mattress is made from luxury-quality materials that Brentwood Home guarantees will not sag or degrade during the life of the mattress. The coverage of the warranty doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence, but materials themselves are very durable, and the mattress is antimicrobial and will not be host to dust mites or bacteria. Dunlop latex is strong and made to keep its shape for many years. The coils are wrapped individually and protected by an upper and lower layer. The Cedar also features hand tufting, which binds the mattress together without adhesives that are sensitive to moisture. The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress should last at least 15 years if properly cared for. This is longer than the life of the average hybrid mattress.
The Cedar mattress is made of responsive latex that keeps a sleeper “on” the mattress rather than “in” the mattress. Despite this, the Brentwood Home Cedar is quite soft. Rating at a 5 on the firmness scale, this mattress is softer than the average hybrid (most hybrids have a rating of 6 or higher). A rating of 5 may be a bit soft for stomach sleepers, but the Cedar hasn’t received many complaints regarding support. The 4” of latex push up against the body and form-fit to its curves, and the zoned support system provides adequate support for all sleeper types. Sleepers looking for a softer mattress that doesn’t sacrifice support will be happy with the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress.
Customers report that the Cedar mattress sleeps very cool. Innerspring coil mattresses are the best mattress type for airflow. Latex can hold some heat, but the ventilated latex in the Cedar mattress counteracts this tendency.
The wool and organic cotton that make up the mattress cover are highly breathable and moisture-wicking to help keep the sleeper cool and dry. Lastly, this is an all-natural mattress, and all-natural materials are more breathable than synthetic ones.
Offgassing is a phenomenon that occurs when synthetic foam releases chemicals into the air when it is first taken out of its packaging. These chemicals can cause an unpleasant odor that lasts from a few hours to a few days. This effect occurs only in synthetic foam, and because the Cedar mattress is made with all-natural materials, there is no offgassing effect.
Mattresses that are highly responsive and facilitate movement are the best for sex. Innerspring mattresses are typically better than foam mattresses which can leave sleepers feeling like they’re moving in quicksand. Supportive innerspring coils and responsive latex make the Cedar mattress a good choice for amorous activities.
How to take care of your Brentwood Home Cedar mattress
The mattress cover on the Cedar mattress is cooling and moisture-wicking, but it is not moisture resistant. In case of a stain, the mattress cover is not removable. It is very important to keep liquids away from the mattress. They can easily damage the latex and void the warranty. Consider buying a moisture-proof mattress protector to shield the mattress and protect the warranty.
If a stain does occur, spot wash the mattress cover with a damp towel. Make sure the towel is only slightly damp and not saturated. A delicate detergent can be used to assist in stain removal.
The Brentwood Home Cedar mattress consists of multiple layers and therefore can’t be flipped. It is recommended that the mattress be rotated 180 degrees every 3-6 months to promote uniform weight distribution, which will increase the life of the mattress.
Connect with Brentwood Home
To learn more about the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress, connect with Brentwood Home through these channels: