What you get with the Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress
Brentwood Home has been producing mattresses and sleep accessories for over 30 years. The Los Angeles-based company currently offers four different mattresses as well as bedding and pet beds.
The Oceano mattress is the second-most premium offering in the Brentwood Home mattress line (their premium offering is the Brentwood Home Cedar mattress). It is a 15½” hybrid mattress composed of 6 layers of memory foam and innerspring coils. It is covered by a Tencel stretch-knit mattress cover. The Oceano mattress is available online only and ships directly to the consumer.
Here are the key characteristics of the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress:
- Very thick: At 15½” inches, the Oceano mattress is one of the thickest mattresses on the market. This can be beneficial to heavier sleepers who need more support and density.
- Alternating layers: A unique feature of the Oceano mattress is its alternating layers of foam and innerspring coils. Most hybrid mattresses are constructed with foam layers at the top and springs near the base, but the Oceano mattress alternates between foam and coils from the top of the mattress to the bottom. It is also unique that this mattress contains two separate layers of innerspring coils (over 2500 coils in the Queen size mattress).
- Zoned support: The base coil layer of the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress features 5 zones of support. This means that different areas of the mattress respond to pressure differently. This zoning promotes healthy spinal alignment and ensures proper edge support.
- Sleeps cool: The comfort layers and the cover of the Oceano mattress are made of breathable materials like memory gel foam, wool, and Tencel fibers. Hybrid mattresses are also better at regulating temperature than foam mattresses.
Here are some potential weaknesses of the Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress:
- Offgassing odor: Some customers have reported an offgassing odor caused by the settling of the memory foam in the Oceano mattress. This odor dissipates within a few days after taking the mattress out of its packaging.
- Substandard warranty: The coverage offered by Brentwood Home’s warranty is not as good as the industry average.
Price (Queen): $1,495
Sleep trial: 120 nights
Warranty: 25 years
Shipping: Free shipping
Manufactured in: USA
About Brentwood Home
Brentwood Home was founded over 30 years ago as a mattress and bedding producer. Originally, they designed and manufactured products which they sold to retailers around the USA. In 2012, Brentwood home launched a direct-to-consumer line of sleep products. This line includes the Oceano mattress.
Brentwood Home was founded on two principles. One was to produce luxury-style mattresses at an affordable price. The other was to use sustainable and eco-friendly materials made by local artisans in Los Angeles. Brentwood Home continues to follow these guiding principles today.
Brentwood Home receives largely positive feedback from consumers. Its products have averaged 4 out of 5 stars on the Brentwood home website, and good customer service has been mentioned in many reviews. Brentwood Home has received a grade of “B-” by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). According to the BBB website, this grade was given due to an unresolved dispute.
The Oceano mattress has received positive reviews around the web. It has been Brentwood Home’s best selling mattress for nearly a year and has a perfect rating of 5 stars on the Brentwood Home website. It has earned a rating of 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon, with 70% of those ratings being 5-star.
- Zoned support
- Sleeps cool
- 120-day sleep trial
- Offgassing odor
- Poor warranty coverage
A look at the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is a 15½” mattress comprised of six layers of foam, innerspring coils, and wool, as well as a Tencel stretch-knit cover.
- ½“ New Zealand wool: The first comfort layer in the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is made of New Zealand wool. Wool is a material that naturally regulates temperature. It helps sleepers stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- 2” gel memory foam: This gel memory foam comfort layer brings soft, contour support to the Oceano mattress without the heat retention of normal foams. Gel foam traps heat and diffuses it away from the body.
- 2.5” individually wrapped microcoils: These tiny coils are more effective at reacting to pressure and movement than larger coils. Each is individually wrapped, so the movement of one will not affect another, ensuring less motion transfer and better contour support.
- 2” Airlux foam: This layer of breathable, CertiPUR-US certified memory foam acts as a transition from the microcoil layer to the innerspring coil base layer. This is a firm layer, but it’s soft enough to respond to weight from above, increasing the form-fitting support of the comfort layers. A full 2” of transition foam make this an especially attractive mattress for heavier sleepers, as there is less chance of the mattress sagging over time.
- 8” individually wrapped base coils: The base layer of the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is made up of over 1000 individually wrapped innerspring coils (in the Queen mattress). These coils have different levels of firmness based on their position in the mattress. There are a total of 5 support zones. Three are in the center and provide support for the head, shoulders, and legs. Two are on the sides and bolster the edges of the mattress to provide optimal edge support.
- ½“ base foam: One final support layer provides a solid base for the mattress and protects the innerspring coils. This foam is extra dense and won’t buckle or give way as long as it rests on an adequate foundation.
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress comes with a Tencel stretch-knit mattress cover. Tencel is an all-natural material that is highly breathable and moisture-wicking. It is also soft to the touch and good for sensitive skin. The stretch-knit design means that the cover will not bunch or clump under your sheets, but it is not removable.
Brentwood Home costs and guarantees
|Brentwood Home Oceano||Twin||$995||80|
|Brentwood Home Oceano||Twin XL||$1,195||90|
|Brentwood Home Oceano||Full||$1,295||115|
|Brentwood Home Oceano||Queen||$1,495||135|
|Brentwood Home Oceano||King||$1,995||170|
|Brentwood Home Oceano||California King||$1,995||170|
|Brentwood Home Oceano||Split King||$2,195||175|
Purchase the Brentwood Home Oceano from Amazon.
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress comes with a 120-day risk-free sleep trial. If a sleeper is unsatisfied with the Oceano mattress, he or she can return it within 120 days for a full refund. The only stipulation is that Brentwood Home asks that customers try the mattress for at least 30 days before requesting a return. They will not pick up the mattress or issue a refund within the first 30 days.
In the following 90 days, if a sleeper requests a refund, Brentwood Home will arrange for the mattress to be picked up and taken away at no cost to the consumer. Refunds are typically issued within a few days. The 120-day sleep trial is only available to consumers who buy directly from the Brentwood Home website.
The Oceano mattress ships for free in the continental United States. Customers can expect the mattress to arrive within 1-5 business days. The mattress ships compressed, rolled, and boxed, and the customer will be responsible for unboxing and unrolling the product. This may require more than one person, as the Oceano mattress is quite heavy.
When the mattress arrives, take it out of the box and place it, still rolled, on the foundation of your choosing. Next, cut the first layer of plastic and unroll the mattress. Then, cut and remove the second layer of plastic (cut carefully to avoid damaging the mattress). The mattress will decompress over the next few hours.
It is vital that the mattress is removed from its packaging as soon as it arrives. Failure to decompress the mattress in a timely manner may result in damage to the mattress and/or a voided warranty.
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is covered by a 25-year warranty. This warranty covers manufacturer’s defects, but it is not as comprehensive as many competitors’ warranties.
If a defect is detected within the first 10 years, Brentwood Home will replace the mattress at no cost to the consumer. In the 11th year, the consumer will have to pay 50% of the cost of a new mattress. For every year after the 11th, 5% will be added to the cost of replacement. This means that if the mattress has a defect after 20 years, the consumer will be responsible for 95% of the cost of replacement.
The warranty is also less stringent when it comes to sagging and permanent compression marks in the mattress. Most warranties consider 1” of visible sinkage in the mattress to be a defect, but Brentwood Home will not replace the mattress before 2” of sinkage.
Brentwood Home offers financing to help customers pay for the Oceano mattress over time. Customers can apply for financing at check-out on the Brentwood Home website. Rates as low as 0% APR are available.
How the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress performs
The Oceano mattress is Brentwood Home’s best-selling mattress and the highest-rated mattress on its website. It is made from luxury materials which are durable and comfortable. It is also an eco-friendly mattress that is made from recycled and all-natural materials. All the components of the Oceano mattress are made from premium materials in the USA, making it one of the higher-quality mattresses on the market (as its price indicates). The Oceano may rate positively among consumers, but it has some weaknesses as well. Let’s take a more comprehensive look at how the Brentwood Home Oceano mattress performs.
Motion isolation is the degree to which one sleeper will feel movement when another changes position. Hybrid mattresses tend to have less motion isolation than foam mattresses because coils naturally bounce more than dense foam. The Oceano is responsive and has some bounce, but motion is isolated quite well due to the alternating foam and coil layers and the microcoil layer. Some motion will likely transfer and be felt as sleepers move, but this effect is minimal. Overall, the Brentwood Home Oceano provides a good balance between responsiveness and motion isolation.
Edge support is defined by the ability of a mattress to retain its supportive properties to its edges. Brentwood Home hybrid mattresses perform better than many competitors in this regard due to the zoned support system in their base layers.
Two support zones are dedicated to the sides and edges of the mattress. The result is a mattress that is just as supportive at its edges as it is in the center. This makes the Oceano mattress ideal for sleepers who sleep on the edge of the mattress or who often find their arms or legs dangling off the side of the bed. The edges compress somewhat when sitting on the side of the bed, but sleeping on the edge won’t cause noticeable sagging.
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is made from high-quality materials that won’t lose their shape or function easily. The memory foam used in the Oceano mattress can handle more weight than foams in many other mattresses, which means it can handle more weight for a longer period. The number of coils in each product also make for a very durable product. The denser the coil count, the less work that each individual coil needs to do. The coil count in the Oceano mattress is very high (even the basic twin size has over 1500 coils), which suggests that it will last a long time. One can expect the Oceano mattress to remain in good condition for over 15 years, which is longer than the lifespan of the average hybrid mattress.
The Brentwood Home website describes the Oceano mattress as having a “medium plush” feel, but it actually rates as a 6 on the firmness scale, making it a “medium firm” mattress by most standards. This can be especially misleading considering the Brentwood Home site describes the Cedar mattress (their premium mattress offering) as being firmer than the Oceano when in reality it’s softer. This may have to do with the fact that the Oceano has a memory foam layer, which gives it a plush, “sinking in” feeling.
A firmness rating of 6 is the most common among mattresses, as it is ideal for all sleeper types. Some mattresses with a firmness of 6 are too firm for side sleepers, but the Oceano, by contrast, has received positive reviews from side sleepers. This is likely due to the thick layers of memory foam and the microcoil layer that form-fit to the body and support the spine.
Consumers have not reported any problems with the Oceano mattress sleeping hot. Hybrid mattresses are inherently more breathable than denser, foam mattresses. This Brentwood Home mattress is made largely of eco-friendly, natural materials like Tencel and wool, which promote airflow better than synthetic materials. Finally, Brentwood Home has chosen breathable and heat-diffusing memory foams for the Oceano mattress, including cooling gel foam that pulls heat away from the body.
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is reported to let off an offgassing odor upon removal from its packaging. This chemical odor, which some find unpleasant, is caused by the settling of the memory foam. It is non-toxic and dissipates within a few days.
Mattresses that are responsive and have more bounce are the best for sex. The two innerspring coil layers in the Oceano mattress provide moderate responsiveness without a high degree of motion transfer. This, combined with the comfort and cooling properties of the Oceano mattress, make it an ideal choice for late-night activities.
How to take care of your Brentwood Home Oceano mattress
The cover on the Oceano mattress is moisture-wicking, but it doesn’t protect the mattress from spills or allergens. Purchasing a mattress protector is highly recommended to increase the life of the mattress. Intruders like dust mites and fungus can take years off the life of a mattress (besides being unsafe and unsanitary), and liquids can damage memory foam and void the warranty.
The mattress cover cannot be removed. If it becomes stained, it must be spot washed with a damp towel and warm water. Make sure the towel is not saturated with water. A delicate detergent can be used to assist in stain removal.
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress is comprised of six different layers, so it cannot be flipped. Instead, it is recommended that the mattress be rotated 180 degrees every 3-6 months to ensure even weight distribution. This will help increase the life of the mattress.
Connect with Brentwood Home
Explore these channels to find out more about Brentwood Home and the Oceano mattress: