What you get with the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress
Brentwood Home is a Los Angeles-based company that produces premium sleep products such as mattresses, bedding, and pet beds. They currently offer four mattress styles on their website, three of which belong to their hybrid line. The Ojai mattress is the most basic, yet most affordable, of Brentwood Home’s hybrid mattresses.
A hybrid mattress combines elements of foam and innerspring mattresses. The Ojai mattress is a 12” mattress composed of five layers of memory foam, latex, and innerspring coils. Despite being described as “modest” and “ideal for a guest bedroom” on the Brentwood Home website, the Ojai mattress is still a premium mattress made from high-quality, eco-friendly materials.
These are some of the key characteristics of the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress:
- Affordable: The Ojai mattress is quite affordable for a premium mattress. It’s made from materials that are of a higher quality than other mattresses. These materials include extra-durable foam, Tencel fibers, and New Zealand wool. It is also hand-tufted (a feature found in premium mattresses) for adhesive-free durability and enhanced airflow.
- Sleeps cool: The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress is a hybrid mattress, which means it is more breathable than dense, foam mattresses. It also features breathable and temperature-regulating materials like Tencel fibers, wool, and cooling gel memory foam.
- Zoned support: Brentwood Home’s hybrid mattresses feature a 5-zone support system in their innerspring coil cores. Each zone provides a specific firmness to accommodate an area of the body or to strengthen the mattress. Three zones in the center of the mattress are dedicated to supporting the back, shoulders, and legs. Two zones on the sides of the Ojai mattress are firmer to guarantee solid edge support.
- 120-day sleep trial: The Ojai mattress comes with a 120-day sleep trial, which is longer than the industry standard.
These are some possible weaknesses of the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress:
- May not be supportive enough for some: The Ojai mattress is highly responsive and quite firm. It may not be ideal for side sleepers or heavy sleepers.
- Poor warranty coverage: The warranty coverage on the Ojai mattress isn’t as comprehensive as competing mattress companies’ offerings.
Price (Queen): $1,195
Sleep trial: 120 nights
Warranty: 25 years
Shipping: Free shipping
Manufactured in: USA
About Brentwood Home
Brentwood Home began selling sleep products over 30 years ago in Los Angeles. The company’s original goal was the same as it is today: to produce eco-friendly sleep accessories with luxury materials made by local artisans.
Brentwood Home began only as a designer and producer; their products were sold by retailers around the country. In 2012, they launched their direct-to-consumer line of mattresses and sleep accessories which they sell via the Brentwood Home website. The Ojai mattress is part of this line.
Brentwood home has a positive reputation according to customer and professional reviews. The reviews for Brentwood Home products on its website average 4 out of 5 stars and many customers applaud the customer service and fast shipping. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has given Brentwood Home a grade of “B-.” The BBB cited an unresolved conflict as a reason for the slightly lower grade.
The Ojai mattress has received favorable reviews from customers and online publications. Every reviewer on the Brentwood Home website gave the Ojai mattress 5 stars, citing its mix of comfort and support. The Ojai mattress does not have a score on Amazon, as it is only available from the Brentwood Home website.
- Zoned support
- Sleeps cool
- Wicks moisture
- 120-day sleep trial
- May lack support for some
- Poor warranty
A look at the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress
The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress is a 12” hybrid mattress composed of five layers of memory foam, latex, and innerspring coils. It is covered by a Tencel fiber and New Zealand wool mattress cover.
- New Zealand wool: The first layer of the Ojai mattress is part of its cover. Wool is compressed and knit directly into the Tencel fiber cover to provide a soft and breathable surface to the mattress. Wool naturally regulates temperature to help sleepers stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- 1.5” Flo foam: The first comfort layer of the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress is made of CertiPUR-US certified memory foam. It is more responsive and durable than similar foams, but it still provides soft, form-fitting comfort.
- 1.5” gel memory foam: Gel memory foam helps to keep the sleeper cool by pulling heat from the body and diffusing it away. It has the same supportive qualities of classic memory foam, which promote pressure relief and proper spinal alignment.
- 1” natural latex: 1” of durable, Dunlop latex acts as a transition layer from the memory foam comfort layers to the innerspring coil core of the Ojai mattress. This dense and highly responsive layer protects the coils and provides a firm base for the comfort layers.
- 8” individually wrapped base coils: Most of the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress is composed of innerspring coils. Each coil is individually wrapped to promote contour support. The innerspring core features five support zones. Each zone has a specific firmness level that is meant to support a particular area of the body or to strengthen the mattress. Three central zones provide support to the back, shoulders, and legs, while two zones on the sides of the mattress are firmer to guarantee proper edge support.
The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress is made with a Tencel stretch-knit mattress cover that is hand-tufted onto the mattress. Tencel is a natural material made from plant fibers. It is soft, highly breathable, and moisture wicking. Hand-tufting is a method of binding the mattress layers together without the use of chemical adhesives. This renders the mattress more breathable, and it is also more eco-friendly. The cover is not removable.
The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress is manufactured in the USA.
Brentwood Home costs and guarantees
The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress comes with a risk-free, 120-day sleep trial. During this trial, a customer can return the mattress for any reason and receive a full refund. Brentwood Home asks that customers try the Ojai mattress for at least 30 days before requesting a return. They will not issue a refund or pick up the mattress during the first 30 days. If a refund is requested during the following 90 days, Brentwood Home will arrange for the mattress to be taken away at no cost to the customer, and a full refund will be issued. The 120-day sleep trial only applies if the Ojai mattress is purchased from the Brentwood Home website.
The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress ships for free within the continental US. Shipping usually takes 1-5 business days. The mattress ships directly to the consumer, and it arrives compressed, rolled, and boxed.
To remove the mattress from its packaging, take it out of the box and place it on the frame or foundation of your choice (don’t unroll the mattress or take it out of the plastic before placing it on the frame or foundation). Next, cut the first layer of plastic and unroll the mattress. Finally, remove the second layer of plastic and let the mattress expand. It normally takes a few hours for the mattress to fully expand.
It is important that the Ojai mattress is removed from its packaging as soon as it arrives. If the mattress remains compressed for too long, it might become damaged and/or the warranty may be voided.
The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress comes with a 25-year limited warranty that covers manufacturer’s defects. The coverage offered by this warranty is not as comprehensive as the industry standard.
The warranty on the Ojai mattress considers permanent, visible sinkage of 2” to be a defect that warrants a replacement. Competing companies offer a replacement after just 1” of sinkage.
Brentwood Home also charges the customer for a replacement mattress after the first 10 years. From the 11th year, the customer must pay 50% of the cost of a replacement. The customer must pay an additional 5% for each year after 11 until the 21st year. This means that if a customer finds a defect in the mattress after twenty years, he or she would have to pay 95% of the cost of a replacement.
Financing is available on the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress for customers who would like to pay over over an extended period. Financing rates as low as 0% APR are available. Customers can apply for financing at check-out on the Brentwood Home website.
How the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress performs
The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress is a premium mattress made from high-quality materials. Customers have responded well to this mattress in their reviews, highlighting a cool night’s sleep, good customer service, and a good mix of firm support and comfort. Despite the amount of praise for the Ojai mattress, it does have some flaws. Let’s take a closer look at how the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress performs.
The Ojai mattress is a hybrid mattress that is largely composed of innerspring coils. As such, some motion transfer is to be expected. The foam comfort layers on top of the coils stifle some of the motion, helping the Ojai mattress isolate motion moderately well.
A mattress with good edge support will maintain its firmness even at its edges. This is an important factor for sleepers who often sleep near the boundaries of a mattress. The 5-zone support system in Brentwood Home’s innerspring coil core features two zones that reinforce the sides and edges of the mattress. As a result, the Ojai mattress performs quite well to its edges. Some sagging occurs due to its memory foam comfort layers, but this is minimal.
The Ojai mattress is a durable product made from premium materials. It may be more basic than the other hybrid mattresses offered by Brentwood home, but its core components are no less durable. The memory foam used by Brentwood Home claims to be more durable than the foams used by competitors. The Dunlop latex used in the transition layer is one of the strongest types of latex. Hand-tufting also contributes to the durability of the mattress by eliminating the need for adhesives that cause damage or dissolve over time.
The Ojai mattress rates as a 6 on the firmness scale. This indicates a medium-firm mattress. A rating of 6 is the most common rating for a mattress because it is ideal for all sleeper types. The Ojai mattress, however, may prove too firm for some. The foam layers are quite dense, and the stretch-knit cover compresses the layers even further. Side sleepers may not receive the contour support that they need.
Heavier sleepers (sleepers weighing over 200 lbs.) may also have issues with the Ojai mattress. A heavier sleeper may sink into the comfort layers and come into direct contact with the transition layer. This could irritate pressure points and cause aches and pains.
Sleepers looking for a cool mattress won’t be disappointed. The Ojai mattress combines many cooling elements such as Tencel fibers, natural wool, and cooling gel. Hybrid mattresses are also generally more breathable than foam mattresses. Customers reviews have not reported any problems with heat retention.
Some mattresses release an odor upon unpackaging due to the offgassing of synthetic memory foam. This chemical odor lasts a maximum of a few days and is not harmful, but some find it to be unpleasant. The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress may let off a slight offgassing odor, but it is reported to be minimal.
The Ojai mattress is highly responsive and easy to move around on. Its innerspring coil core provides some bounce as well. These are both good qualities for sex. The mattress may be a bit firm, but it should please couples who like to spend more time in the bedroom.
How to take care of your Brentwood Home Ojai mattress
The Tencel stretch-knit cover on the Ojai mattress is not removable. It is also not resistant to water or allergens, so purchasing a mattress protector is highly recommended. Fungus and dust mites can ruin a mattress (and your health), and liquids can easily warp memory foam and void warranties.
If a stain occurs, spot wash the cover with a towel and warm water. Make sure that the towel is damp and not saturated. Using a delicate detergent can help with stain removal.
The Brentwood Home Ojai mattress consists of five different layers of foam and coils, so it cannot be flipped. To increase the life of the mattress, rotate it 180 degrees every 3-6 months. This will cause weight to be distributed equally.
Connect with Brentwood Home
To learn more about the Brentwood Home Ojai mattress, connect with Brentwood Home using these channels: