What you get with the Casper Essential mattress
Casper Sleep added the Essential mattress to its product lineup in order to provide a high-quality sleep experience to their budget-conscious customers. The Essential is an ideal choice for people who don’t want to spend a lot on a mattress upgrade for their master bedroom or who need a new mattress for a guest or child’s room.
With the Essential, we find a more streamlined mattress that at 8.5 inches is 1.5 inches shorter than the standard Casper mattress. The Essential keeps certain factors that have become part of Casper’s signature mattress design, however: customers will still find that their Essential mattress has a cooling, open-cell foam layer and a zip-off mattress cover for easy cleaning.
Here are a few of the key characteristics that consumers like most about the Casper Essential:
- Temperature control: The open-cell foam does an excellent job of keeping sleepers cool – something that’s important in memory foam mattresses that can often retain body heat.
- Pressure relief: The memory foam layer provides good body contouring and relief for hips, shoulders, and other areas where pressure point pain can be problematic.
- Price: The Casper Essential costs much less than Casper Sleep’s other mattress options, making it more competitive with other direct-to-consumer foam mattresses on the market.
- Ease of setup: The Casper Essential contains instructions that make unboxing it and setting it up straightforward and simple for most customers.
The Casper Essential has these potential weaknesses:
- Firmness: Consumers who want a plush, soft mattress may find themselves disappointed by the Essential’s firmness level.
- Support: Despite the firmness level, many customers report that the Essential mattress is too thin to provide an ample amount of support – especially for sleepers with back pain.
Price (Queen): $600
Type: Foam combo
Sleep trial: 100 nights
Warranty: 10 years
Manufactured in: USA
Casper Sleep was one of the first companies to skip selling its mattresses in brick-and-mortar stores and sell directly to the public. Customers were pleased with the quality of Casper’s products, as well as the ability to save time and money by purchasing their mattresses online. Over the past several years, positive customer feedback has driven Casper to become one of the most recognized and successful brands in the bed-in-a-box market.
Today, the market is full of direct-to-consumer mattress companies, but this wasn’t the case in 2014 when Casper Sleep was founded. Trailblazers in the bed-in-a-box category, they began by displaying their mattresses in two showrooms in Los Angeles and New York City and selling them online within the United States. As the company grew more successful, Casper expanded sales to include Canada. Over time, they’ve grown their product selection to include three mattresses: the standard Casper mattress design, the more luxurious Casper Wave, and the back-to-basics Casper Essential.
There is an overwhelming amount of positive feedback regarding the quality of Casper mattresses and experiences dealing with Casper customer support. With an A+ rating from the BBB, Casper has established a solid reputation for durable products and excellent customer service. It also gets 4.34 out of 5 stars in BBB’s customer reviews.
- Comfort: What the Casper Essential mattress lacks in support, it makes up for in comfort. Many people enjoy the comfortable feel of the memory foam and report that they sleep well on this mattress.
- 100-night sleep test: Some customers felt more at ease purchasing this mattress with the knowledge that they have 100 nights to test it out. Those who were displeased were able to send it back with no hassle or difficulty.
- Excellent for side sleepers: Due to the level of pressure relief, the Casper Essential gets good reviews from side sleepers who have experienced pain in their hips and shoulders after waking up on other mattresses.
- Support: The Casper Essential has fewer layers than the basic Casper mattress and the Casper Wave. For some consumers, it’s too thin to provide ample spinal support and causes back pain.
- Sinkage: As is common with memory foam mattresses, the Casper Essential causes sleepers to sink in. This can create difficulty with turning over or getting out of bed.
A look at the Casper Essential mattress
The Casper Essential is available in six sizes that range from a Twin to a California King. While offgassing is a problem with many foam mattresses, Casper Sleep only uses Oeko-Tex and Certi-Pur certified materials. In addition to Casper mattresses creating fewer ozone-damaging chemicals and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), customers report very little issues with chemical fumes (offgassing) upon unboxing their mattresses.
The Casper Essential mattress features the following layers:
- Cover: The removable cover is made of 100% polyester. It’s durable, yet thin enough to allow airflow through the open-cell foam of the comfort layer beneath.
- Soft foam: 2 inches of open-cell poly foam create a top comfort layer that provides softness and temperature control. This layer is a bit more responsive and bouncy than memory foam.
- Memory foam: The 1-inch memory foam layer provides the pressure relief and body contouring that many side sleepers enjoy when using the Casper Essential mattress.
- Poly support foam: The bottom layer of the Casper Essential mattress is a support core of high-density poly foam. This is what gives the mattress its firmness and support.
Casper costs and guarantees
|Casper Essential||Twin||$350||44 lbs|
|Casper Essential||Twin XL||$400||46 lbs|
|Casper Essential||Full||$500||56 lbs|
|Casper Essential||Queen||$600||63 lbs|
|Casper Essential||King||$725||76 lbs|
|Casper Essential||California King||$725||76 lbs|
Casper offers its customers 100 nights to test out their new mattress to see if it’s a good fit. If they need to send it back for any reason, customers can contact Casper to arrange a no-cost mattress pickup. (Free returns and pickup applies for Casper mattresses purchased directly from the company; mattresses purchased through channels such as Amazon and Target will be subject to those companies’ fees and return requirements.) Casper recycles or donates all of its returned mattresses to local charities.
Shipping for Casper mattresses is free for customers who live in the United States or Canada. Shipping is typically speedy, with mattresses shipping out in as little as two days and arriving within 1 to 5 business days after that.
Casper also offers White Glove delivery service. For an additional $100, Casper will deliver and set up your new mattress. (The White Glove delivery fee is $75 for customers in New York City and Los Angeles and $125 CAD for customers who live in Canada.) For an additional $50 ($75 CAD), Casper will remove the old mattress.
Casper compresses its foam mattresses and seals them in plastic before packing them in a 21” x 21” x 41” box for shipping. Once you receive your Casper mattress, you should remove it from the box, set it up, and allow it to expand within three months. Keeping it packaged longer can damage the structural integrity of the new mattress.
Foam mattresses can be a bit unwieldy to move, so you should put your Casper mattress where you’ll be sleeping on it before opening the package and allowing it to expand. Once it’s opened, it will start filling out – a process that typically takes around 20 minutes. Some customers report a slight offgassing smell, but this will dissipate as the mattress breathes and airs out.
Casper stands behind its products, offering a 10-year limited warranty on all of its mattresses. The warranty covers all wear and tear to be expected with normal use of a mattress. It includes things such as:
- Any deterioration that creates indentations larger than an inch
- Manufacturing flaws that cause the foam to split or crack
- Defects in the zipper on the mattress cover
All Casper mattresses must be set up on a proper bed base or foundation that will properly support its weight. Failure to do so will void the warranty.
How the Casper Essential performs
Foam mattresses tend to do well in terms of motion isolation, making them a great choice for people who sleep with a partner who moves around or gets in and out of bed frequently. The Casper Essential competes well with other mattresses in this category in terms of motion isolation, creating very little disturbance when one area of the mattress is jostled or pressed down.
Especially for heavyweight sleepers, memory foam mattresses provide very little in the way of edge support. If you sit on or lie down near the edge of the Casper Essential mattress, it will compress. Those who like to feel supported throughout the entire expanse of the mattress won’t be pleased with the edge support offered by the Casper Essential.
Despite its entry-level foam mattress price, the Essential is made with the high-quality materials consumers have come to expect from Casper Sleep. We have high expectations for the durability of this mattress – especially given that Casper covers it with a 10-year warranty.
The Casper Essential mattress tests as being rather firm, landing between a 6 and a 7 on a 10-point firmness scale (with 10 being the most firm). Consumers looking for a plush mattress will not find it in the Casper Essential.
The breathable polyester cover and open-cell comfort foam layer do an excellent job of regulating temperature, making this mattress an excellent choice for people who sleep hot.
Casper mattresses do put off a bit of a chemical smell when they are first unpackaged. However, few customers find the odor problematic and most report that the smell disappears within a few days.
As a memory foam mattress, the Casper has generated some negative feedback from consumers who dislike the feeling of sinking into the sleep surface. However, it’s firmer and has a bit more bounce than most memory foam mattresses, making it a reasonably good mattress for intimacy.
How to take care of your Casper Essential mattress
As mentioned above, be sure to unpackage and set up your Casper mattress within three months of receiving it. Leaving it in the box for longer periods of time can create problems with the structural integrity of the mattress.
Like all Casper mattresses, the Casper Essential comes with a zippered cover that can be removed for washing. Do not machine wash the cover (as it could shrink). Instead, spot clean it with a mild detergent and cold water. If you need to, you can hand wash the top part of the mattress cover. Let it air dry and make sure it dries completely before zipping it back onto the mattress.
Casper mattresses are created with strategically-layered foam and are not meant to be flipped. They can be rotated 180 degrees every 3 to 6 months; this is especially helpful if you sleep alone one one part of the bed or if you have a weight differential with your partner.
Connect with Casper
For more information about the company and the Casper Essential mattress, visit Casper on these channels: