What you get with Nectar
Nectar is among the newest of the online, direct-to-consumer mattress companies and currently offers one mattress design. Nectar is most recognized for its 365-day trial period and its “forever warranty.” Buyers have a full year to sleep on the mattress and return it for a refund if they do not like it. The Forever Warranty means that the company will replace the mattress during the first 10 years of ownership for defects in workmanship or materials. In years 10+, the company will either completely repair and recover the mattress, or replace it if the mattress cannot be repaired.
Nectar also offers a White Glove Option in which your new mattress is unboxed and set up for you, and your old mattress is removed.
The key characteristics of the Nectar mattress are:
- Cover: The Tencel fabric cover is durable and can be removed for cleaning. The company also offers a one-time replacement cover free of charge if your cover becomes stained or is damaged.
- Consistent support: The Nectar provides equally strong support and pressure relief to back, side, and stomach sleepers.
- Works with all bed types: A variety of foundations work well with the Nectar including box springs, traditional frames, adjustable bases, or platforms.
In contrast, these are some potential weaknesses associated with the Nectar:
- Firmness: The Nectar mattress comes in only one firmness option and is described as too firm by some lighter-weight sleepers.
- Slow recovery time: When sleepers change positions, there is no instant response time. It can take several seconds for the mattress to mold to a new position.
Price (Queen): $795.00 (use our promo code for $125 off and 2 free Nectar pillows)
Sleep trial: 365 nights
Warranty: Forever/lifetime warranty for the original purchaser
Shipping: Free shipping to continental U.S.
Manufactured in: China
While corporate headquarters are in San Mateo, California, and distribution centers are in Washington state, the Nectar mattresses are made in China. Nectar’s founders were involved in the development of multiple foam mattresses during their 15+ years in the industry prior to launching the company. Once launched, they chose to make Nectar the only 100% employee-owned company in the industry.
All components of the Nectar mattress are CertiPUR-US certified.
Nectar has been assigned a C rating by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The customer reviews on the BBB site include 62% positive reviews and 56% negative reviews, and there are 73 total customer complaints registered with the BBB.
Among the 524 reviews posted on the Nectar website, however, 80% reflect a 5-star or 4-star rating and general research indicates that less than 3% of Nectar mattresses are returned. There are no ratings or reviews on Amazon.
Here are the most frequently noted pros and cons as cited in reviews by Nectar customers:
- Forever warranty
- 365-day sleep trial
- Comfortable for back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and side sleepers
- Easy to clean cover
- Good bounce
- Sleeps cool
- Little or no motion transfer
- A good deal for price-conscious shoppers with $125 off and 2 free Nectar pillows
- Only one firmness option
- Slow recovery time
- Delays in shipping / arrivals
- Poor customer service support
- Lack of knowledge among customer service reps
A look at the Nectar mattress
The Nectar mattress is available in 6 sizes ranging from Twin to California King. The 11”, all-foam construction is comprised of 5 layers designed to provide even distribution of weight, pressure relief with support, cooling, and bounce. The layers are:
- Cover: The quilted cover is Tencel, an eco-friendly material made from trees which promotes air circulation and wicks away body heat.
- Quilted gel memory foam: This 1” layer is quilted directly into the cover and is designed to relieve pressure, contour to the body, and ensure coolness.
- Gel memory foam: The third layer is an additional 1” of gel memory foam that helps with weight distribution and pressure relief.
- Adaptive memory foam: The fourth layer is 3” of Hi-Core memory foam that gives the mattress its bounce.
- Base layer: The final 6” base layer of the mattress is also foam that provides stability and support for the layers above it, and that helps the mattress keep its shape.
Other features include:
- Cover: The Nectar cover can be fully replaced if necessary. For example, if the mattress is used by a child who wets the bed, the original cover can be removed and replaced with a new one. Or, if the cover becomes stained or begins to show wear, it can be replaced.
- Edge support: Even though it is constructed exclusively of foam, the Nectar performs better than similar mattresses in this category.
- Special protection: The mattress is designed to keep out dust mites and the cover is bedbug resistant.
- Certification: All materials used in the Nectar mattress are CertiPUR US-certified meaning they contain no ozone depleters, PBDEs, TDCPP, mercury or lead.
Nectar costs and guarantees
39 x 75 x 11
39 x 80 x 11
54 x 75 x 11
60 x 80 x 11
76 x 80 x 11
72 x 84 x 11
When using our discount code, the Nectar mattress becomes a good deal for price-conscious shoppers and is less expensive than similar beds. Save $125 off the cost of a mattress and receive two free Nectar pillows with our promo code.
Nectar offers customers a 365-night sleep trial. If a customer chooses to return their mattress, Nectar will arrange a free pickup from their home if located in the continental U.S. For returns in Alaska and Hawaii, the company will provide information about applicable pickup fees when contacted to schedule the return. Once the mattress is picked up, Nectar will refund the full purchase price.
Nectar will ship mattresses to all 50 states but not yet internationally. Shipping is free in the continental United States; however, there are shipping charges for Alaska and Hawaii that are quoted at the time of order. Once an order is placed, the mattress is shipped via FedEx Ground (no expedited shipping is available) from Nectar distribution centers in Washington state. The mattress will arrive in 1-5 business days depending on your location.
Each mattress is compressed, vacuum-packed, rolled, placed in a reusable bag with straps, and boxed for shipment. Box dimensions vary depending on mattress size but all have handles for easy maneuvering. Depending on the size mattress ordered, weight ranges between 45 and 89 pounds.
If you need assistance with setup, the company does offer a white glove service for an additional cost that includes removal of your old mattress and set up of the new one. If you wish to perform your own setup, there are only a few steps required:
- Take the box into the room where you will be using the mattress.
- Remove the mattress roll from the box (avoid using a sharp object to open the box since you risk cutting the mattress).
- Place the mattress roll on your base.
- Remove the outer plastic wrap and the reusable canvas bag, and unroll the mattress (it will immediately begin to expand).
- There are some reports that the canvas bag is difficult to remove; if you experience difficulty, stand the mattress roll on its end on the floor and work the canvas bag down from top to bottom.
- The embroidered “Nectar” name goes at the foot of your bed.
- It may take an hour or so for the Nectar to fully expand and a couple days for it to fully firm up.
Nectar offers a forever warranty and guarantees the construction, materials, quality, and durability of each mattress for the original purchaser for the life of the mattress. In the first 10 years of ownership, the company will replace the mattress if it is found to be defective. In years 10+, the company will either completely repair and recover the mattress, or replace it if the mattress cannot be repaired.
Nectar also offers a “Choice Option” in years 10+ as a part of the forever warranty. With this option, instead of replacing or repairing your defective or damaged Nectar mattress, the company will allow you to keep it and will deliver a new Nectar mattress for 50% of the price you paid for the original mattress.
How Nectar performs
The multiple layers of foam used in the construction of the Nectar mattress absorb motion well. The gel memory foam quilted into the cover along with the second layer of foam keep the level of detectable motion low when a bed partner changes position or gets into and out of bed during the night.
While mattresses constructed exclusively from foam give way around the edges, the Nectar has better edge support than similar options. When sitting on or sleeping near the side of the mattress, there is minimal compression.
The foams used in the Nectar mattress are durable and the cover is Tencel, a fabric made from trees and recognized for its durability and strength. The Nectar should retain its shape and support for 10 years or more if it is used with the proper base and cared for as directed.
On a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the most firm, the Nectar mattress is a 6 to 6.5 (there are no firmness options), meaning it is medium to medium-firm. All sleepers feel firmness differently based on their weight and size but most users, including side-sleepers, report that the Nectar has an initial softness on top but provides sufficient support and pressure relief.
Even though it is made entirely from foam, the Nectar mattress sleeps cool. Both the memory foam quilted into the cover and the first layer of gel memory foam draw heat away from the sleeper efficiently.
When the Nectar is first unboxed and taken out of its wrapping, it has a strong smell for a day or so. The odor diminishes over several days and is no longer present after a week. Some buyers suggest that you air out the mattress for 2-3 days before sleeping on it.
The Nectar provides strong support during amorous activities. You won’t sink deeply into the top layers during sex or when changing positions during the night.
How to take care of my Nectar mattress
The cover on the Nectar mattress can be unzipped and removed for cleaning. You can choose to take it to a local dry cleaner or treat spots and stains yourself with mild detergent and cool water. Blot and dab or use gentle circular motions instead of rubbing with force and don’t oversaturate your cleaning cloth. Most importantly, be sure to allow it to air dry completely before replacing bedding.
The mattress cannot be flipped because of the layered construction but owners are encouraged to rotate it once or twice each year to prevent sagging. Also use a mattress protector, and make sure you place the Nectar on a solid base.
Nectar discounts and coupons
Save $125 off a Nectar Mattress and get two free pillows!
Connect with Nectar
For more information about the Nectar mattress and/or company, visit Nectar through these channels: