What you get with Puffy
Puffy, a Los Angeles-based company founded in 2016, offers a 10” memory foam mattress comprised of two layers of CertiPUR-US certified memory foam and a plush mattress cover. The Puffy Mattress is the only mattress offered by the Puffy company.
Puffy hasn’t been around for long, but it has already found itself on the top of many lists of the best mattresses and has been featured in various media, such as the Ellen show. Customers have responded well to the soft comfort of the memory foam and its ability to stay cool throughout the night.
Some other key characteristics of the Puffy Mattress include:
- Exclusive foam layers: The memory foam in the Puffy Mattress was developed by the Puffy team. The top layer of Cooling Cloud, gel-infused foam is supported by an extra-firm base foam layer which Puffy claims is more supportive than similar foam layers in other mattresses.
- Cover: The Puffy’s mattress cover is made from stretch-knit plush. It was designed to increase the cooling capabilities of the mattress while wicking moisture away to prevent sleepers from waking up sweaty.
- Support: The Puffy Mattress has shown to be effective in improving spinal alignment and relieving pressure points.
- Lifetime warranty: The Puffy Mattress comes with a lifetime warranty that is more comprehensive than many of their competitors’ offerings.
Alternatively, there are some possible weaknesses to consider before buying the Puffy Mattress:
- May be too soft: This depends on a sleeper’s preference and sleep style, but some have found the Puffy to be a bit too soft and to sink in too much. This is reported more among heavier sleepers.
- Poor edge support: Some sleepers have noted that the edges of this mattress buckle easily. This is likely due to the soft gel-foam comfort layer.
Price (Queen): $1,150 (check for discounts here)
Type: Memory foam
Sleep trial: 101 nights
Shipping: Free shipping
Manufactured in: USA
Puffy was launched in Los Angeles in 2016 after a year of research and product testing. After testing numerous designs, materials, and formulas, the Puffy mattress was born. Almost everything about the Puffy mattress was designed by Puffy and is unique to it.
Puffy is a privately held company with only a handful of employees. They have stated that their aim is not to sell far and wide or to encourage markups by selling to retailers, but to provide a direct-to-door mattress that anyone can afford. They demonstrate this by making each mattress to order. Returned mattresses are donated and never resold.
Along with its flagship mattress, Puffy also sells an adjustable mattress base and a mattress foundation.
Puffy is highly regarded among customers for its service, quality, and charitable acts. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has given Puffy a rating of A-. Of the nearly 2000 reviews on the Puffy brand website, about 85% of customers gave the mattress 5 stars. The reviews on Amazon reflect similar numbers, 83% of which are 5-star.
Puffy has also been recognized for its charitable giving. Not only does Puffy donate mattresses to children who are in need of a comfortable place to sleep, but they also donate any returned mattresses to the disadvantaged. This policy also helps the environment, as fewer mattresses unnecessarily end up in a landfill.
- Excellent support
- Sleeps cool
- Soft and comfortable
- Free shipping
- 101-night sleep trial
- Lifetime warranty
- Lacking edge support
- May be too soft for some
A look at the Puffy Mattress
The Puffy Mattress is made of 10” CertiPUR-US certified memory foam, which is separated into two layers.
- 3“ Cooling comfort layer: The first layer of the Puffy mattress is 3” of unique, gel-infused memory foam. Puffy developed this foam, which they named Cloud Comfort, and it can only be found in this mattress. This layer provides the cloudlike feel that the Puffy is famous for. It also serves to diffuse heat emitted by sleeping bodies.
- 7” extra-firm support layer: The remaining 7” of foam make up the base of the Puffy Mattress. This is another layer developed by Puffy and is said by its designers to be four times more supportive than competitors’ base foam layers. The base layer is firm but also remains responsive in order to assist with spinal alignment.
- Cover: The final component of the mattress is its cover. The washable cover was developed specially by Puffy to complement its foam layers. The plush fabric is soft to the touch and contributes to the Puffy’s signature soft feel. It is also stretch-knit, so it won’t bunch or wrinkle. In addition, the cover increases airflow and wicks moisture away from sleepers. This helps to promote cool, sweat-free sleep.
The Puffy Mattress is manufactured in the USA using environmentally friendly practices.
Puffy costs and guarantees
|Puffy Mattress||Twin XL||$875||45|
|Puffy Mattress||California King||$1350||78.3|
Buy your Puffy Mattress from Puffy.
Puffy offers a 101-night sleep trial to its customers. If at any point during this time a sleeper decides against purchasing the mattress, Puffy will assist in having the mattress donated to a local charity. The customer will be issued a full refund for the price of the mattress.
The Puffy Mattress ships for free via FedEx and typically arrives within 2-5 business days. The mattress comes in a 19” x 19” x 42” box. Before packaging, it is compressed, vacuum-sealed, and rolled up. Each mattress is made and boxed to order, so the time the mattress spends in a compressed state is minimal. The box dimensions are the same regardless of the mattress size and weight.
To open the mattress effectively and safely, follow these steps:
- Take the compressed mattress out of the box and put it on your frame of choice.
- Take the mattress out of the vacuum seal carefully. Avoid using sharp objects or the mattress may be damaged.
- As soon as the plastic is removed, the mattress will begin to expand.
- Wait a few hours for the Puffy to completely decompress.
The Puffy Mattress comes with a lifetime warranty. This covers manufacturing flaws for the life of the mattress, such as zipper and cover defects or, most importantly, eventual indentations in the foam.
After the first 10 years, if a defect is detected, customers have the option to buy a new Puffy at a 50% discount instead of having theirs repaired. The customer will be able to keep their old mattress as well.
How the Puffy Mattress performs
Overall, the Puffy has performed well in almost every category according to most customer reviews. It has received very high ratings across the board for support and comfort. There have, however, been some complaints about this mattress. As it is a memory foam mattress, it will share some of its downsides with other mattresses in this category, such as low mobility and the possibility of sleeping hot. Let’s take a look at the details on how the Puffy performs.
The Puffy is a memory foam mattress, so motion transfer is much lower than traditional coil mattresses. However, compared to other memory foam mattresses, the Puffy doesn’t isolate motion quite as well. This is because the Puffy is a soft memory foam mattress.
It is important to note that less motion isolation is not necessarily a bad thing. Firmer mattresses have better motion isolation, but they may not be as comfortable as the Puffy. Less motion isolation also means more bounce and easier mobility. In the end, a sleeper’s personal preference is the deciding factor.
The Puffy Mattress is not known for having great edge support. This is, again, because it has a very soft and relatively thick comfort layer. Firmer mattresses have better edge support because they compress less when pressure is applied. The Puffy is designed to be soft and cloudlike, so the mattress (and its edges) compress quite easily. Sleepers who find themselves straddling the edge of the bed may want to consider a firmer mattress.
Puffy is new on the mattress scene, and the foams used in its production represent the latest in sleep technology. The foam layers are more effective and durable than those used in other mattresses on the market, and as such, the Puffy should last much longer.
The Puffy is unique in its firmness level because of its unique foam layers. The official number on the firmness scale puts the Puffy at about a 5-6 out of 10, meaning that it’s a medium to soft mattress. This is reflective of its very soft comfort layer which compresses quite easily. The base layer, however, is much firmer and denser than other foam base layers (though it maintains its responsiveness). The Puffy was constructed in this way to cater to all sleepers and to provide optimal comfort and firmness. It should be noted that some heavier sleepers complain that the mattress sinks in a bit too much.
According to customer reviews, sleeping hot is not a common issue for Puffy owners. The entire comfort layer is made from cooling gel-foam that pulls body heat away from the sleeper. In addition, the cover helps to improve airflow and is cool to the touch. However, it is important to remember that the Puffy is a foam mattress, and because of the density of memory foam, these mattresses will always sleep hotter than their coil and spring counterparts.
As the Puffy is a memory foam mattress, some offgassing is to be expected. Compared to other foam mattresses, the Puffy Mattress is reported to have a light offgassing odor out of the box. This normally dissipates within a few days.
The comfort layer of the Puffy is soft yet responsive. Motion transfer is not as low as other foam mattresses, meaning the Puffy has more bounce and easier mobility. These are all good attributes for a mattress when it comes to having a little fun between the sheets.
How to take care of your Puffy Mattress
The Puffy Mattress is quite durable and should last a long time with little care. Its cover is meant to protect its foam layers from sweat and humidity, but liquids should be kept far from the bed. Spills risk damaging the memory foam and voiding the warranty.
The cover can be removed and washed, though frequent washing is not recommended. Too many washings can damage the fabric. If the cover gets stained, remove it and attempt to clean the stain directly instead of throwing the whole cover into the washing machine. Do not try to clean the stain while the cover is still on the mattress.
The Puffy is made of two layers of different memory foam, so it cannot be flipped. To help increase the life of the mattress, it can be rotated every year or so.
Puffy coupons and discounts
Visit the Puffy website for discounts on the Puffy Mattress!
Connect with Puffy
To learn more about the Puffy Mattress, connect with Puffy through these channels: